Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can Not Back-Up

I have a HP Pavilion 744v w/AMD Athlon Processor, 2.133GHz, 512MB, 60GB that will not allow me to back up in any way.

I wanted to back-up my Quickbooks so tried to do the back-up through the Quickbooks back-up and when that didn't work I tried to the back-up through Programs, System Tools, Backup. That didn't work either. It tells me to put a CD into drive E which I do. I do have the CD's that say RW on them. I have looked at my computer and it shows CR_RW:E so I don't understand why I can't backup anything.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Renee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Not Back-Up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Not Back-Up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's get past this fast.

In reply to: Can Not Back-Up

While it's well covered, discussed to death in the quicken forums the fix is to backup to somewhere on the hard disk then burn that to CDR or copy to some USB memory key. I will not duplicate web content about the trouble of backup from Quicken directly to CDR/W.
Bob

Collapse -
Still Need Help, Have Other Questions

In reply to: Let's get past this fast.

I've read over the Quicken forum and want to make sure I understand what I need to do. It sounds like to me that I should do 1 or 2 of the following:

1)Back up to hard drive then copy to CDRW
2)Back up to USB flash drive then copy to CDRW

If that is correct then I want to know the names of some programs that I can download for free to format the CDRW's. It sounded like to me that you have to format CDRW which I didn't know.

Please let me know if I am missing anything else I would need to do.

Renee

Collapse -
"Please let me know if I am missing anything else I would ne

In reply to: Still Need Help, Have Other Questions

"Please let me know if I am missing anything else I would need to do."

Move forward? I know many want a longer document about this but since it's been done so often I took the short version.
Bob

Collapse -
Question wasn't answered

I did ask a question. What are the names of some free download programs that will format a cd-rw? Once I know this I think I should be good to go.

thanks,
Renee

Collapse -
(NT) CDBURNERXP should be fine

In reply to: Question wasn't answered

Collapse -
If your machine came with a CDRW drive...

In reply to: Question wasn't answered

It usually comes with recording software.

Collapse -
Treat the RW disk like a ...

In reply to: Still Need Help, Have Other Questions

regular CD-R disk. That allows you to make a disk that casn be read on almost every machine with a CD reader while formatting and using packet writing software requires any other machi9ne to have the same packet writing software (and incidently allows data to "disappear").

If you are just looking for the name of some backup software I'll suggest Acronis True Image.

Collapse -
For reasons no one will reveal...

In reply to: Treat the RW disk like a ...

Quicken fails to backup to INCD or Roxio's DirectCD drives. This is why I just move forward fast.

Collapse -
Possibly too fast Bob as ...

In reply to: For reasons no one will reveal...

s/he still seemed fixated on using packet writing (thus my mention to treat it lik a regular CD-R and avoid packet writing.

Acronis does back up Quicken files if one chooses to pay for the product rather than use what is already available as you explained how the backup could be done.

Collapse -
Quicken and packet writing...

In reply to: Possibly too fast Bob as ...

Has some thousands of posts about failure. To save ourselves the grief I headed for the nearest exit.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.