Phones forum

General discussion

Can Nokia 6255i be used in Chicago?

by DougT / August 11, 2005 3:06 AM PDT

I've never had a cell phone but decided it was time. I've done a lot of research on the various phones and finally decided the one I want is the new Nokia 6255i. Now after scouring the various cellular provider sites, I can find no indication that anyone here carries/supports this phone. Is there a way that this phone can be purchased and used with a Chicago based provider?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Nokia 6255i be used in Chicago?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Nokia 6255i be used in Chicago?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From the Nokia website
by dave1973 / August 11, 2005 11:40 AM PDT

These are the carriers that support the Nokia 6255i from the Nokia website: Service providers: ALLTEL, Alaska Digitel, Bluegrass Cellular, Cellular South, Illinois Valley Cellular, MetroPCS, Midwest Wireless, Pioneer/Enid Cellular, Surewest Wireless, Western Wireless, i wireless, nTelos.
Unfortunately at this time, this phone doesn't look like it's supported by US Cellular, Sprint PCS, or Verizon Wireless, since this phone is a CDMA digital phone, and is tri-mode. I like the features of this phone that I would consider it too, if available, but Verizon Wireless might disable a lot of the bluetooth features like they did with the Motorola V710. I highly doubt this phone will be available through Verizon Wireless because Nokia won't give into a lot of Verizon's strict criteria. That's why you see more Nokia phones made for GSM carriers. They're not as picky as the CDMA carriers, especially Verizon Wireless & Sprint PCS.

Collapse -
Nokia 6255i on Verizon
by abpayne / January 14, 2006 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: From the Nokia website

I can tell you this phone works fine on Verizon. The Bluetooth works fine for headset, I cannot vouch for any other Bluetooth uses on the network itself. Setup was very easy with Verizona - a short telephone call, and you'll be in busines......

Collapse -
Nokia 6255i on Verizon
by dave1973 / January 14, 2006 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: Nokia 6255i on Verizon

The Verizon version is 6256i. The Nokia 6255i is used on US Cellular & Alltel. Among the 2 providers, only US Cellular serves the Chicago market and has the 6255i in that market. Both phones are the same, but slightly different software for each carrier. My mother has the 6256i and is still learning it, but says she likes having a flip phone over her old phone, the Nokia 3589i, which was a candybar style phone.

Collapse -
6256i is the same phone
by cnet_god / February 22, 2006 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Nokia 6255i on Verizon

the only difference is which carrier it's locked to

Collapse -
6256i is the same phone
by dave1973 / February 23, 2006 2:25 PM PST

I know it's the same phone, if you read my post carefully. There is a slight difference between the 2. The 6256i doesn't allow mp3 files to be used as ringtones while the 6255i does. Verizon modified their version before it was released. It's so far the only phone that otherwise has full-bluetooth.

Collapse -
that's a verizon thing...
by jbroshear / February 27, 2006 12:30 AM PST

...so the answer to your question I guess is NO

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?