PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can no longer select PCIEx16 :(

by kyrgizion / August 21, 2006 10:52 PM PDT

Accompanying screenshot:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?..._id=20&warned=y

After my driver woes, I discovered that the MSI app that controls my GPU(s) doesn't work anymore. It displays clearly false information (check the amount of ram it claims I have ) and I cannot tick the PCIEx16 box, or any others for that matter.
They aren't greyed out, but clicking them won't tick the box nor make any other changes. I no longer have this program, I searched MSI's site but cannot find it on there either. I have no idea how to tell if my PCIEx16 is actually being used or that my slowdowns are originating from exactly that problem.

System specs:
ATHLON 64 3800+ @ 2.4 Ghz
4x512 MB DDR RAM @ 400 Mhz
Nvidia MSI NX7800 GT
+ Nvidia Asus 7800 GT in SLI
2x Maxtor 160 GB HD in RAID0
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Sony 19" TFT @ 16 ms 1280x1024
WINDOWS XP PRO
ADSL 192 up/3360 down

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can no longer select PCIEx16 :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can no longer select PCIEx16 :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd picture. Does this involve snakes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2006 11:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Image - odd indeed
by kyrgizion / August 21, 2006 11:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2006 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Image - odd indeed
Collapse -
close but no cigar
by kyrgizion / August 22, 2006 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Links.

Thanks for the links, I read through all the ones I could (my Japanese and German aren't too great though) and it seems most of the people there managed to fix their problems by simply installing new forceware drivers. I've been installing every version of forceware for a few days to no avail.

Well, I wish it was that simple.
I mostly play WoW - usually in single GPU mode because I tend to get errors in SLI (SLI worked fine in games like Quake4 etc). When I got the latest official drivers from Nvidia's homepage, Wow started to lock up every few minutes. I also noticed slowdowns in other games. So I reverted to older drivers and still had the same problem (by reverting I mean uninstalling, booting into safe mode and using a driver cleaner - I'm thinking this driver cleaner cleaned more than I bargained for).
Then I went back to the latest drivers that worked well for me, version 84.25. Wow doesn't lock up anymore but the performance, even with SLI enabled, is terrible. Low fps, lots of hitching, stuttering etc.
Now, as for the MSI drivers: everything worked fine for months after I added the Asus card so that shouldn't be it. I cannot manually remove these drivers as they are nowhere to be found (not in the windows program list, not cleanable by driver cleaner). Just installing other forceware drivers doesn't help at all.
I'm quite at a loss here Sad I even checked my BIOS but all those settings were fine (as in, they haven't been changed in the slightest since the last time everything worked fine).

My mobo is an ASUS A8N SLI deluxe, never gave me any problems before, nor did I fiddle with its settings, drivers or the bios. The cards haven't been physically moved or altered in any way, either. They both work as far as I can tell, but they aren't using PCIEx16 or any other setting for that matter.

Collapse -
Why I have problems in driver updates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: close but no cigar

The file that may need updating is locked for any number of reasons. I've had to boot safe mode, uninstall, clean manually NV*.* files I find and even dive into the registry to get another clean shot at installing a video or even motherboard driver.

Which does bring up the motherboard drivers. Latest?

And then we have the oddity that is DirectX. We get to run it's setup again after such changes. Not well documented but I'll share my trials.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!