Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can no longer download

by cjmoon / November 22, 2004 8:18 AM PST

I am using Windows XP, Intel Pentium III, 128 MB RAM, speed - 498 MHz, with SP1. I use Ad-Aware and EZ Antivirus (Computer Associates). I received a notice from CA that I should upgrade to the latest version of EZ Antivirus. I followed the directions to download the upgrade, but nothing happened. I have since been exchanging messages with their tech support. It was supposed to upgrade without having to uninstall what I already have, but I was advised to uninstall - still couldn't download. Then I was advised to make sure I had deleted the registry and all folders, cookies, temp files, etc. So now I don't have any antivirus. They asked if I could do other downloads so I tried to download some clip art, which I have done in the past, but couldn't do that. Then they gave me instructions to download Belarc Advisor and send them the results, but of course I couldn't download that either. So what do I do now? What is wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can no longer download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can no longer download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can no longer download
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Can no longer download

Cj,

Try the steps below in the order I give them:

First, check the Internet Explorer settings like this:

While in Internet Explorer, click on ?Tools? in the upper left, choose ?Internet Options?. When that opens, click on the ?Security? tab, then click on the ?Internet? icon (the world globe), then click on the ?Custom Level? button. When that loads, scroll to the ?Downloads? section and make sure the boxes next to ?Enable? are CHECKED. If you make any changes, click on ?Apply?, then OK.

Next:

BROKEN DOWNLOAD PROMPT FIX:

If you click on "download" and no longer get a dialog box asking if you want to "save the file to disk" or "open from this location", how can you get this function back?

There are a few things you may want to try. One is to right click on the file you want to download and choose "Save target as..." and then it should prompt you to put it in a specific folder. This should revert your settings to prompt you to save to disk and place it in a
specified folder when you left click to download.

The other option is to check your registry settings. Go to RUN,
type REGEDIT and go to the following keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exe (filetype) and HKEY CLASSES ROOT\exefile
Double-click on EditFlags, and change the
value from d8 07 01 00 to d8 07 00 00, then close Regedit.

If that doesn?t help, then I suggest you click on the links below and try the registry edits indicated. The exact error message that you get may help with identifying the problem. Although there are instructions in the first link on a registry backup, you should always make a complete backup of your registry before making any changes. Immediately below are instructions on how to do so. You may want to print out the info.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "Regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, Click on Registry in the upper left corner of the window, choose "Export Registry File". When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like.

Here are the links and you might want to try this one first.
Error Locating Object Handler

A similar fix, but with fewer registry entries removed:
Error Message: Error Locating Object Handler

Similar instructions for similar error message. Check the Internet Explorer versions here too.
Error Locating Object Handler

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by cjmoon / November 22, 2004 12:09 PM PST

Thank you, Grif, for your reply, but I'm afraid I don't understand.

I did your first step. In IE/Tools/Internet Options/Security/Internet/Custom Level/Downloads, Enable was checked.

Next you said to right click on the file I want to download, but all I have is a button that says download, and when I right click on that and click "Save target as...", nothing happens - there is no prompt at all. Also I never get any error message.

Next, I went to RUN and typed REGEDIT and got in the Registry Editor. I found a folder HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but no \exe or \exefile, and I didn't see EditFlags. So from there I am lost.

I have never gotten any error message.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 11:55 PM PST

Cj,

IF there is only a button to click which starts the download and RIGHT clicking and choosing "Save Target As" does nothing then move on to the next option of solutions. This method works better when there is a link to RIGHT click on...

In regards to the other links and registry edits.....I missed that you are using Windows XP and as a result, please ignore all of the other suggestions that I gave you previously. Sorry....Most of those registry fixes only work for older versions of Internet Explorer and Windows.

Instead, please download the IEFix Utility from the link below and run it. Obviously, you'll need to do this on another computer and burn it to a CD, then transfer it to your computer. You'll probably need the original Windows XP CD..

IEFix Utility
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm

Or, you can try "repairing" your version of Internet Explorer using the link below:

How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows

Collapse -
by cjmoon / November 26, 2004 3:51 AM PST

Thank you so much for your help! I finally was able to download Mozilla Firefox on my husband's computer at work, burn it to a CD, and install it on my computer, and with that I was able to download the upgrade of my antivirus program with no problem.

Now I will still try to fix IE but that is no longer a dire emergency. I really appreciate all your advice!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!