Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Can my PC be interfering with Wifi?

by MarcGonsalves / July 1, 2013 1:50 AM PDT

Okay so I have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE desktop with the built in wifi and all that jazz. So the built in wifi worked fine for quite some time, however it stopped working, so I got a wireless adapter (the one you plug into wall and hardwire a connection to the PC.) The adapter seemed to work fine, however my wifi would always drop off, the hard wired connection on another PC would be fine, but wireless would be interrupted (for Xbox, iPhones, Nooks, everything.) Called my wireless company, they replaced router and the problem continued. They replaced modem, the problem continued. They were up on ladders checking wires doing everything possible and the problem remained. They contacted their supervisors and all, couldn't seem to figure it out. I even got a USB wifi adapter which cost me a decent amount, still the problem remained. So I simply dealt with the problem of getting bumped, quite frequently, and stopped online gaming. Now I move into an apartment (previously occupied by my brother and still on the same internet connection that he had working fine for 3 years) and the problem begins again. Is there something wrong with my PC that is forcing it to interfere with the wifi?

MarcGonsalves has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can my PC be interfering with Wifi?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can my PC be interfering with Wifi?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MarcGonsalves

Collapse -
True.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

There can be hardware failures as well as software failures to cause this. Remember that you claim "it stopped working" and not a reduced or slow functionality.

If it's something different then I would not know that. Troubleshooting such can be expensive so why not just ban the interfering machine from the WiFi? Make them get wired if they want access.
Bob

Collapse -
Banning
by MarcGonsalves / July 1, 2013 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: True.

I can't ban the machine, because it's currently my only machine :(.

Collapse -
Maybe it's not interference at all?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Banning

I see that many details are missing.

For example if a member puts the router in a basement I respond with "that doesn't work well" and if they have the router over 20 feet away we need to reduce this during tests.

We'll also want to know what 802.11a, b, c, g, n is used and on what channel. More details until it's fixed.

Now there is a way to remove the PC from the issue. And that is where I use a WiFi to Ethernet bridge. Then the PC can't interfere (which I know suspect is not the case here) since it doesn't have much to say about the WiFi.
Bob

Collapse -
Update
by MarcGonsalves / July 1, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

The router is decently far away from my computer, however I do have full service as the wireless adapter that I have "Netgear N600 Dual Band" is created for multi-level homes and long distances from router. The internal card is an 802.11n Wireless LAN Card.

Since my last post I have disabled that card and have only been running off of the Netgear and haven't had any interuptions. The other things that come up in the Network adapters portion of my Device Manager are Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2
NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
and
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller.

Collapse -
Are you telling me you had more than one WiFi card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Well that's something I would never expect to work well. Sorry if I didn't catch this but if you have more than one WiFi card enabled on one machine, who knows what trouble that can cause.
Bob

Collapse -
So that could have been my problem?
by MarcGonsalves / July 1, 2013 4:08 AM PDT

Although the computer, without the adapter, wouldn't pick up any connections do you still think that may have been my problem?

Collapse -
If so, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 4:11 AM PDT

With 2 cards enabled I would not expect the machine to behave. That is, you would have both trying to connect to the router and other odd issues. They certainly would be on the same channel and since they don't know how to play nice with each other (I will not enter in a discussion why that is) then they can create issues my tech buddy that makes house calls loves to see. Easy money.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by MarcGonsalves / July 1, 2013 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: If so, yes.

Thanks for the input, let's hope my problem has been solved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.