Question

Can my computer handle 1600 MHz RAM?

Hi,
I am trying to buy new RAM for my gateway desktop and there is a really good deal on for some DDR3 1600MHz RAM. The memory adviser results on the crucial website say that my computer can hold 16GB of 1333MHz DDR3 (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=FX6831-01&Cat=RAM). But does that mean that my computer can't handle 1600MHz RAM? And would there be a performance difference if i was to have 1600MHz instead of the 1333MHz? Also, does it matter if the RAM is DRAM or SDRAM?
Thanks Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can my computer handle 1600 MHz RAM?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can my computer handle 1600 MHz RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It will only run as fast as the slowest RAM in the system.

If you already have 8GBs of DDR3-1333MHz and you add 8GBs of DDR3-1600MHz, the 16GBs RAM would all run at 1333MHz. Bottomline, it may or may not run at all with the higher speed RAM.

Do you actually know what RAM is in it now ? (NOTE...it may be equal to or greater than what the mfg advertises.)

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
I am wanting to replace my existing ram

The RAM thats in my computer now is 4x2GB 1333MHz DDR3. And I'm wanting to remove it all and replace it with 4x4GB of 1600MHz DDR3. So you're saying that the 1600MHz RAM might or might not work? I'm guessing there's no way to tell for sure.

- Collapse -
There's no way to tell if it will work at all or if it does

work, that it will work at the higher speed. Off-the-shelf PCs from the BIG BOX MFGs just don't usually incorporate features to support higher speed RAM.

My recommendation...leave it as is and you really want/need more RAM then just add the additional recommended RAM

Questions ? We'll be here.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Answer
I missed one thing.

The make, model of the PC but I see the mix and match question is answered.

Crucial almost always gets you the right RAM. But as to the speed that's an interesting issue. No company wants to produce slower ram so this is why you use higher speed ram. It will work at the lower speed happily.

But you do have owners that want to know more.
Bob

CNET Forums