Question

Can my computer be killing AC adapters?

Up till a few days ago, my computer/ac adapter have been working fine together. But Sunday, when I plugged it in, the charger worked fine for a little bit, then the green light went out and soon after, I could not get the adapter to work anymore.
My dad lent me his adapter, which up till that point was working fine, and when I plugged it in, soon after, it too died.
Neither AC adapter will now work, however, for about 12 hrs last night, I got my dad's charger to work, until I moved it, then the green light went out, and it will not work anymore.

Could it be my laptop killing the chargers in some way? or the outlet?
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can my computer be killing AC adapters?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can my computer be killing AC adapters?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely.

I'll dismiss the outlet since all adapters I see are what we call "open voltage" with ratings from 100 to 240 VAC and accept 50 and 60 Hz. This means that if you lose adapters, other things would be lost as well.

You didn't tell much about the laptop, make, model and if it's those cheap adapters that last a few weeks.

However there are old batteries, laptop jack issues and more that can cause trouble. I've lost count of the laptops I've opened up and found a staple floating around inside. The count is far too high to be a coincidence. Do folk think these things should be near a laptop?
Bob

- Collapse -
Specs

It's a Dell Inspiron 1520, and both AC Adapters were Dell originals for this computer. So should I get my computer checked out? Like, is it a battery issue (it's the original battery), or some sort of powerboard issue?

- Collapse -
To sniff out which one.

I know this model came with a 300 cycle battery. That's 2 years tops then you can never be sure if it will just fade away or suffer that other failure mode where it pulls a lot of power.

Then again most owners notice the heat. Some don't.

As to the powerboard, when the battery is less than 18 months old and does not overheat I may swap out that AFTER I've checked for staples and the solder work around the power jack.

-> Just wondering. Do you own the usual solder iron and DVM?
Bob

- Collapse -
Old battery

So I'm assuming it must have been the battery doing it, because I pulled out the battery and plugged in the adapter, and now it's just working fine. I suppose that's why my laptop was always so hot? It was the original batter, and I've had the computer since 07ish.

I might own both of those, but right now I'm stuck at a hotel and they're packed away somewhere before we move.

- Collapse -
That's a great find.

And matches my experiences. An old battery is treated with deep suspicion.

There are a few failure modes after a few years. When it draws more power can be VERY EXPENSIVE if folk don't catch it and remove the battery before damage is done to the charging circuits.

I don't know how long this old battery has been in there but BEWARE that such can kill the battery charging circuitry and the cost between the new battery and motherboard to get the new battery working usually means the end.
Bob

CNET Forums