Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Can motherboard get fried from ethernet cord and router not?

by JeremyWUA / April 30, 2014 4:33 AM PDT

Ok so I live in tuscaloosa AL and there was a big storm over the past couple days. Before the storm started I shutdown my perfectly working computer (which I had built 10 months ago) and unplugged everything but my ethernet cord that is run to my router. I go to turn it on and it wont come on. I tested the power supply (turning a paper clip into a U shape and plugging into the motherboard prong on the power supply) and plugged the power supply in and the fan was working. I figured since the router was not fried that there was no way it could have harmed my motherboard. I went and bought a new power supply and plugged everything in and computer would still not turn on. I have checked all the wires, blown all the dust out, and checked to see for burns on the motherboard and have found nothing. I am completely clueless as to why it wont turn on unless the motherboard somehow got fried from lighting going through the ethrenet cord and not damaging the router. I would appreciate any help considering I don't want to buy a new motherboard and ill have to get new windows etc. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can motherboard get fried from ethernet cord and router not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can motherboard get fried from ethernet cord and router not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you
by itsdigger / April 30, 2014 5:06 AM PDT

tried a different power outlet ?

Digger

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
maybe the front switch is broke

short across the power pins direct on the mobo and see if it starts up. If so, you can get a new switch from radio shack and use it, a momentary push type.

Collapse -
Just tried
by JeremyWUA / April 30, 2014 5:38 AM PDT

I just tried with a paperclip holding with pliers and did not work. Yes I have tried other outlets and all outlets are working.

Collapse -
to me that leaves
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Just tried

CPU gone bad, unless you removed it, cleaned, and then reinserted it, bending a pin at the same.

RAM gone bad, if two sticks, test with one at a time.

Some motherboard component failed. If the computer is older or has ESR type capacitors then one or more may have failed. Look for busted, or swollen caps.

Collapse -
Like I said
by JeremyWUA / April 30, 2014 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: to me that leaves

It is only 10 months old and I have never had a problem with it. It was working fine and I shut it down like I do once a week and just unplugged everything but ethrenet cord right before the storm and now it just wont come on. All i know left to do it unplug everything and check everything real good and put it back in and if it doesnt work, im assuming I will need a new mobo.

Collapse -
Start small.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2014 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Like I said

For a power up test I only need motherboard, power supply and that PWR jumper/switch. If those 2 parts don't power up, we are looking at 1 or 2 bad parts.

Keep in mind some boards won't power up if the CMOS battery is too low.
Bob

Collapse -
I like to keep cheap CPU around
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Like I said

that fits the sockets I use on motherboards to test them with. For instance any AMD Sempron 140-150 that will test an AM2-AM3 motherboards cost about $15-20 used on Ebay. If it shows the motherboard is bad instead, I've not spent much but still have a backup CPU for the new motherboard I replace it with.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!