HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Can it be done?

by Spockva / January 30, 2006 11:21 AM PST

I am planning to build my first computer utilizing a barebones kit from Tiger. I am sure I can do the assembly, the question I have is will I have to reinstall the Windows XP OS on the hard drive after I remove it from the old computer and install it in the new one? I read somewhere that the OS would have to be reinstalled, but I do not want to loose all the stuff on the drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can it be done?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can it be done?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sometimes people get a big surprise.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: Can it be done?

You didn't tell about your old machine. HP and others LOCK the OS to the machine. The OS will never "transfer" and people get a rude few hundred dollar OS shock as they buy a full copy.

Moving your stuff is as good as your backups. Moving a hard disk and hoping the contents stick around is begging to learn why people write so much about backups.

Bob

Collapse -
Oh, sorry.
by Spockva / January 30, 2006 9:51 PM PST

Old machine is a Gateway, with a 120gb hard drive, XP pro sp2, Pentium 3 500 mhz, and is about 6 or 7 years old or so. My son had a similar machine and I was able to take his hard drive and transferr it to an HP and it worked just fine. Guess the answer is I will just have to try it and find out.

Collapse -
Alot going on....
by Willy / January 30, 2006 11:26 PM PST

XP is such a big PITA that really you get into trouble from git. As Robert posted you maybe surprised since you didn't much of your old system. Plus, if you own an OEM XP versin, don't expect it to work on a generic build one, may/maynot work. Regardless understand trouble lies ahead in some form. With that in mind, do a backup of data you wish to save and proceed forward. I do suggest also, that the best new install is from scratch to move away from old OS problem(s) and start anew plus allow to acknowledge all now new h/w from the OS setting of the h/w. You can try "ghosting" or xfer data from old HD to new using Ghost or similar image s/w or use whatever the HD vendor provides if new HD and go at it, but for the least hassles, try a fresh OS install, etc.. Once the OS is done and all updates, and drivers, etc are done, install your old pgms. then xfer data to them. In this way you kept your install to least hassles and hopefully problem free. Also, using this method should a problem arise you deal directly with that problem and not old or possible multiple problem(s). Alot is going and usually get a 1-chance to xfer(ghost image) from one to the other if this method is done. This topic is covered alot on the www, google for helpful websites and printout whichever is best for your needs.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
No problems man,
by strickjh2005 / January 31, 2006 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Alot going on....

From his post saying that it was a 500mhz machine... we can SAFELY assume that it is an upgrade. There is a chance that upgradint he mobo and proc at the same time will cuase XP to wonder if it is being pirated. A simple reactivation of windows will clear that up and you will be up and running in no time.

As long as all the peripherials and most of the setup is the same windows should be able to figure out it is just an upgrade.

Good luck. YOu will notice a major improvement from 500mhz.

Don't bother with ghosting. It has killed more HDs than anything I know.

Consider getting more RAM. I know for basic users on xp 384mb (256+128) is the bare minimum to keep that HD from spinning up every 3 seconds.

Collapse -
That is kind of what I am thinking also
by Spockva / February 1, 2006 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: No problems man,

I was kind of leaning in the same direction as you are, the only changes will be the motherboard and processor and power supply, and to start off I am getting 512mb of ram. I will post here when I get the new stuff and have the system up and running.

Collapse -
I just updated my MOBO today
by strickjh2005 / February 2, 2006 12:54 PM PST

It was a little messy. Some drivers were confused... had trouble getting online but after an hour I finally got it going.

Collapse -
Done
by Spockva / March 3, 2006 12:14 PM PST

Well, I said i would post here when I had the new computer up and running, and now it is. I did not get it from Tiger as they gave my daughter, who was buying it for me, a very hard time using an online check. I got it from PC Direct Source. They offered a mid tower case with a 400w power supply, Gigabyte k8vm800m socket 754 mother board, AMD Sempron 2600 processor, heat sink and fan all assembled for $240.25 shipping included. I have installed my drives from my old Gateway, and after running the XP Emergency floppies, my cd burner started working and Windows reinstalled and the computer restarted. I was then able to make the necessary installations, get the updates re-downloaded from Microsoft, reinstall a few items that didn't work, and now I am typing this on the new computer. Overall time from start to finish about 7 hours on and off over the last three days. I actually got the computer working after 4 hours, but there were some necessary tweeks and the installs previously mentiond. All in all, a very easy process. Thanks for your answers to my original post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.