Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can I wait until Norton /05 is released?

by cynthialind / August 15, 2004 1:39 AM PDT

My Norton virus protection expires tomorrow but I am reluctant to install the /04 version as I've heard there are problems with downloading it.

I'm not quite sure how the program works, but I am assuming that if I do an update today, my computer will continue to be protected against all viruses known to date, and that I will be vulnerable only to viruses discovered between now and installation of the 2005 Norton program. Is this an accurate assumption?

Thanks for any advice,

Cynthia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I wait until Norton /05 is released?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I wait until Norton /05 is released?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Better Alternative
by Yew / August 15, 2004 2:19 AM PDT

Norton Antivirus is not worth the money. It has a real problem with false positives, and there are a few viruses in the wild that escape detection by NAV.

McAfee is another option, but I find it to be a bit of a resource hog, using WAY too much CPU time for what it does.

Personally, I use AVG Free ( http://www.grisoft.com ). As the name suggests, it's free for personal use. It's updated regularly, and has very low overhead. I've never actually had to test it with a virus, so I can't say how well it does at removing things. But I avoid common sources of viruses such as Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, and Kazaa so it's never been an issue.

There's another free AV program called Avast, which I've only used briefly. Seems to be updated often, but a bit heavier on the resources compared to AVG Free. The tradeoff is some more advanced features AVG Free doesn't have.

If you combine one of these free AV programs with reducing your risk level by substituting in something such as Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, and then only download from trusted sources, they should provide adequate coverage for nothing.

Collapse -
many ways to skin a rabbit
by AussiePete / August 15, 2004 2:29 AM PDT

firstly,
why dont u try and install 2004 - u have nothing to lose - do a systems restore point first though - but also read and find out what assistance u r entitle to from Norton- dont assume u r on your own.
Secondly,
there is a couple of ways to obtain virus definitions for your older version without paying but maybe I should tell you the details in private.
peter

Collapse -
Re: Can I wait until Norton /05 is released?
by GFK / August 15, 2004 2:37 AM PDT

Cynthia:

>I am assuming that if I do an update today, my computer will continue to be protected against all viruses known to date, and that I will be vulnerable only to viruses discovered between now and installation of the 2005 Norton program. Is this an accurate assumption?<

No, it is NOT. If you buy Norton 2004 today [15 August] it will be good until 15 August 2005. It will be updated on a regular basis between now and then. If Norton 2005 has more capability than 2004, your version of 2004 will be updated to be the same as 2005 version.

I wouldn't wait if I were you. I would however check at Sam's Club and see if they have it. I have found that Sam's is the cheapest for Norton 2004, even cheaper than Wal Mart which is right next door in my city.

G.F.K.

Collapse -
by Merl Priester / August 15, 2004 6:51 AM PDT

All you have to do is pay Norton for the annual virus update fees. You do not have to install a new version of the program.

Annual fees are determined by the software you are using.
Used to be 10.00 per year to get another year of so-so virus protection.

I haven't been thrilled with avg lately but htey are free.
So is www.avast.com home version.

I personally use Trendmicro Internet Security 4
If you do an online scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

and answer the questions at the top of the screen as it scans, you get a 20 percent discount. 40.00 instead of 50.00.

Personal Preference.
I will never use Norton again.
I will never use McAfee again either.

Collapse -
Please tell me more Merl
by AussiePete / August 16, 2004 6:14 AM PDT

Interested to know why you dont like norton or macafee - I have NSW (2002) and have used it for quite a few years now but have had lots of troubles of late with installing it.
Peter

Collapse -
Re: Please tell me more Merl
by Merl Priester / August 16, 2004 8:31 AM PDT

Starting with 2002 version it strarted causing crashes and sometimes reboots. It also is extremely resource hoggy, slows down your system.

In one office I work on, they have an app that runs directly from the server. You can see the file names as the app loads to verify they are the current ones.

The entire network in this off of 10 PCs runs about 10 times faster with norton gone.

The corporate edition I don't see to be as bad butI only have seen that in one office. Maybe Bob Profitt can give you more info on it.

McAfee let a virus through only two hours after a new install and update of McAfee. Destroyed my Windows install and I'll never use them again.

Avast seems to do pretty good. I don't like their email interference with the settings in OE.

I just prefer trendmicro. I haven't noticed any major slowdown and it hasn't caused a crash or let a virus through yet.
I have been using it for about 3 months.

I you liek Norton and it works on your machine, then fine use it. I just won't use it myself.

Collapse -
by cadkinson / August 24, 2004 10:36 PM PDT

This is half right. You can purchase the 2004 line of Norton products today, and the subscription will cover you until this date in 2005. Symantec (Norton's manufacturer), however, will not provide you with the updated features of the 2005 line through their update process. If you want the firewall based port protection against worms, the only way to get it on Norton AV is to buy 2005.

If the sometime in the next year, Norton updates its scanning features for its regular antivirus engine (something that has seen relatively few changes in the last 3-4 years) you will get that just as 05 users would. But this does not mean you will get all of 2005's features and enhancements, the newly featured components in 2005 are unique to that version alone. Only the updates to components of NAV that are inherently similar and have been tweaked/upgraded from their initial structure will be updated.

My advice, just wait another week or so, or go to symantec.com and download the 2005 now. It's probably not worth upgrading from 2004 or 2003, but for a first time purchaser, its a great decision.

Collapse -
Get free after rebates........
by John Robie / August 25, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

For the past several years I have been getting Nortons Systems Works which has the Anti-Virus, plus a lot of great stuff to keep your PC in shape, by just having patience waiting for advertisements FREE after rebates. If you purchased Nortons Anti-Virus or Nortons Systems Works in the past and saved the Box UPC code or the Manual (they want a page in lieu of UPC code) then you can normally get a $30 upgrade rebate to go along with other discounts/rebates = FREE.

I bought the NSW 2004 version free after rebates last September and installed it when my subscription ran out for the Anti-Virus in June 04 and it is good until June 2005. I'm starting to look now for the 'FREE" after rebates NSW 2005 version.

OK, in you live in the US and have a Best Buy store, their last Sunday newspaper flyer shows:

"Save 70$ Norton Systems Works 2004.

Reg Price $69.99 - $10 Instant Savings = $59.99
- $30 Upgrade Mail-In Rebate - $30 Mail-In Rebate = Free
Sales tax not included.

Office Depot also has in their Sunday Newspaper Flyer to get Nortons Anti-Virus 2004 (not 2005) and Nortons Firewall together in one package for $9.99 after the same type of rebates/mail in upgrade etc... as above.

I would go for the Nortons Systems Works and get the Free Zone Alarm for a Firewall.

JR

Collapse -
Free again in Sep 5th newspaper flyer
by John Robie / September 5, 2004 7:50 AM PDT

at Office Max:

Norton's Systems Works...free after rebates.

Of course to get one the rebates you need proof of purchase of a Nortons product...like the USP cutout or a certain page out of your old manual.

Collapse -
by phattdaddy / August 25, 2004 7:27 AM PDT

If you are going to download the XP SP2 update and you want to run NAV you will need NAV 2004 as Symantec will not support NAV2002/3 within the SP2 format.
Due to a tech problem I upgraded to NAV2004 (foolish person that I am) with ten months to go on Nav 2003,
and it is like getting blood from the proverbial stone attempting to get a rebate.
I only persist in trying to regain my losses because I am a practicing miser.
As an aside I can guarantee that every time I sweep with NAV2004 I can run PestPatrol directly afterwards and pickup least 5 or 6 bits of Adware and this week I also picked up a minor Trojan after sweeping with PestPatrol.
I am backing AVG for my next AV program.

Collapse -
by John Robie / August 25, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

Re: "If you are going to download the XP SP2 update and you want to run NAV you will need NAV 2004 as Symantec will not support NAV2002/3 within the SP2 format."

Do you have a link on this?
According to:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html
"Installing Service Pack 2 will not affect Norton AntiVirus."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?