PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can I use the onboard RAID controller to add more drives?

Hello,

I have an older Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard and it has both the Primary and Secondary IDE channels, but it also has Primary and Secondary channels for onboard RAID. I am not interested in setting up a RAID config, but I want to know if I can just add more drives and run them each independantly. I tried hooking up a 3rd drive but it does not show up under My Computer in Windows XP. I have enabled the RAID in the BIOS (I enabled it only, not set up a config) but Windows still will not show the icon for the drive. I know the drive and the cable are good. Is this possible on my motherboard? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I use the onboard RAID controller to add more drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I use the onboard RAID controller to add more drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks, been there many times...

In reply to: Link only.

Intel doesn't seem to have a specific answer to my question about just adding additional drives. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
(NT) Since RAID supports drives, the answer is yes.

In reply to: Thanks, been there many times...

Collapse -
Single drive configuration is supported for SATA

In reply to: Thanks, been there many times...

What is the SATA HD model number?

Don't set up a RAID config.

Download the "Integrated Serial ATA Driver" from R. Proffit's link. While you're at it, get the PDF manual for that board, as well.

If the SATA HD is not SATA150, then you may need to jumper it as such (depends on the model).
Attach SATA HD to primary SATA connector.
Check to see if the SATA HD shows in system BIOS. Does it?
Make sure the HD with XP is still the primary boot drive and boot into XP.

Install SATA Driver from XP.

Partition and format the new SATA HD in Disk Management (use NTFS). Note that it is common for a new HD not to show in My Computer until you initialize it in Disk Management.

If the HD is larger than 137GB, then you may need to update the motherboard BIOS and make sure that XP is at least SP1 (just update to SP2). These issues outlined at http://www.48bitlba.com.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.