General discussion

can I use the motorola v551 in japan?

Since I keep getting different answers, I was wondering if I could actually use my motorola V551 in japan. I am signed up with cingular and their world traveler service, but i've been told both my phone would work, and that it wouldn't work and i would have to get a phone from cellhire.com. i've called cingular and the last response i got is that my phone WOULD work in japan and I wouldn't have to rent a phone... but I was wondering if i could get some confirmation. If I would have to rent a phone, i'll rent a phone. I just really wish I could get a straight answer. thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: can I use the motorola v551 in japan?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can I use the motorola v551 in japan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
can I use the motorola v551 in japan?

Check the specifications on the Motorola or phonescoop website to make sure. As long as it's a quad-band 850/900/1800/1900 phone, it'll work in Japan. All you need outside of the USA is the 900 & 1800 bands. If I remember correctly, your phone is a quad-band. With that in mind, it'll work in Japan. So you're good to go if you're using Cingular's World Traveler Service over there.

- Collapse -
No, not Japan.

Most of the world (Asia, Europe, Australia) uses GSM on 900 + 1800 frequencies, with the notable exceptions of Japan and Korea, which do not at all use GSM!

Japanese mobile phone providers use their own proprietary CDMA versions, and that means no handset compatibility with providers outside of Japan. Your 3- or quad-band phone is useless there. The somewhat good news is, recently one of the providers introduced a flavor of 3G system that IS compatible with that of a US carrier (Cingular) but even with that you need a handset that you can barely find in the U.S.

The best thing to do is, if you're a Cingular customer planning to go to Japan, rent a 3G-compatible phone from Cingular (making sure it's for use in Japan AND that your account is ''cleared'' for overseas roaming!) That way your number will roam there with the rented phone (albeit at a very costly rate of $1.99/minute last time I checked.)

CNET Forums