Laptops forum

Question

can i use my old laptop with its GPU removed?

by ank15 / November 18, 2013 7:39 PM PST

i have 4yr old laptop acer 8735g that recently started restarting randomly sometimes it doesn't even reach password window. After checking everything it seems hardware problem i think my geforce 240m is dying. So i was thinking if i could remove my GPU and just use my old laptop.

i have already opened case and checked i have a removable graphic card.

processor c2d T6600 2.2ghz
ram 4gb
GPU geforce 240m 1gb
HDD 500gb
os win7 hp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can i use my old laptop with its GPU removed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can i use my old laptop with its GPU removed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Unlikely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2013 11:49 PM PST

But did you do the usual work/maintenance? My son has a Nvidia 240m system and after a few years it's still OK but we do use the canned air every month. Some laptop owners are never told about that.

If the canned air doesn't help then you replace the heatsink compound and clean as you close it up.

So my question is, have you done the maintenance?
bob

Collapse -
yes!
by ank15 / November 20, 2013 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: Unlikely.

Yes, I have cleaned my laptop regularly.

Actually I am sure it is a hardware problem.I have tried formatting my laptop- didn't help.But I could make it work in safe mode without restarting (GPU is not used in safe mode) but off late it has started randomly restarting in safe mode as well...

For 4 years I have cared too much for this laptop which makes it hard to throw off even when i have other laptop brought in...

I don't mind if it work without GPU it can be my desktop replacment where i backup my data and play songs...

Collapse -
I didn't read if you did the last thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: yes!

I've encounter far too many machines with dried out heat sink compound. 4 years is a long time so did you do the work or have it done?
Bob

Collapse -
i did..
by ank15 / November 21, 2013 2:55 PM PST

once every year...

Collapse -
You write about the GPU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 2:57 PM PST
In reply to: i did..

But so far no laptop I've found lets you remove the GPU. Maybe yours is different? Why not try it?
bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.