How To forum

Resolved Question

Can I use HDMI to connect PC to TV?

by castingman2005 / December 5, 2011 3:50 AM PST

I have an HP p7-1020 running Windows 7, 64 bit, and a Viore LED24VF60 TV. I can connect the TV using the analog VGA connections available on both the PC and TV. This works OK at a resolution of 1920x1080.

I tried using the DVI connection on the PC, a DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable to the TV. This works except the picture is too big for the screen. The Start Menu and the Date and Time are not visible even though the PC resolution is set to 1920x1080.

Is this typical? Do I need some special driver? (I checked the Viore web site but couldn't find any answer.)

castingman2005 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I use HDMI to connect PC to TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I use HDMI to connect PC to TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by castingman2005

Collapse -
Did some more research...
by Nate650 / December 5, 2011 6:16 AM PST

Hi, I did some more research and it appears your computer has the ATI Radeon HD 4200 onboard video, so look for a menu item along the lines of "ATI Catalyst Control Panel." This may be found either by right clicking anywhere on the desktop or in the control panel.

Collapse -
That's the answer!
by castingman2005 / December 5, 2011 1:38 PM PST

I had looked at the ATI Catalyst Control Panel because I thought there should be an adjustment for overscan but had no idea if it would be there or somewhere else. Because you suggested it should be there I spent some time hunting for it and finally found it! (The ATI Catalyst Control Panel doesn't seem very intuitive when you don't know exactly what you're looking for.)

Thanks to Nate650 and all who replied!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 3:56 AM PST

But I can't find the manual to see if you can set the overscan or other settings common to such a setup.

Collapse -
It should be a simple fix
by Nate650 / December 5, 2011 4:15 AM PST

Hi there,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
Laptops 20,411 discussions
Security 30,882 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
Phones 16,494 discussions
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions


Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.