Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Can I use Excel or Word to manage e-mail distribution lists?

by LDGagne / June 11, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

Hi, I have Windows XP and use Outlook 2000 for e-mail. I do know how to create & use mailing lists in Outlook. However, is there a way to use Excel or Word to create these e-mailing lists? I have to work with 6 different lists at work and there are duplicate names in some of them. I'd like to use Excel since I could create a master list in the 1st tab and then create list in other tabs as necessary plus I could have comments for some of the entries which I bekieve would be easier for me to keep track of. Thanks, Larry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I use Excel or Word to manage e-mail distribution lists?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I use Excel or Word to manage e-mail distribution lists?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The answer is "Yes but..."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 4:15 AM PDT

It's not going to do it without you programming it up to do that. If you are not into programming, the answer is no.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, but ...

but another but than Bob.

If you've got all email-addresses in a column, you can copy/paste a fair amount into the bcc-field of, say, an Outlook Express mail. An occasional blank cell doesn't matter.
But if it are many, the anti-spam program of your ISP may refuse to let it through. So if you've got a list of thousand, it might require some 20 copy/pastes for 50 addresses each. Not a very pleasant thing to do.

However, I do this regularly to manage the email-addresses of classes of some 32 students, grouped in groups of 4. Generally, I mail one group, but my ISP doesn't protest if I do 32 at the same time.
Much easier than putting them in my private address book (that I share with my wife).

It's all a matter of scale. This works fine for 32. If I'd had a list of 1000 I might use MS Access (for which I've got a rather primitive module to send mail to a query of email-addresses). And if I'd 1.000.000 (and 10 employees maintaining them), I'd buy a professional CRM system.

A very good alternative: switch to Office 2003. Word 2003 has mail-merge to email (while Word 2000 and Word XP only to it to letters and labels). And it can get the email-addresses (and any variables you would like to put into the mail) from any database, including Excel.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks. I'll be able to use this information very well.
by LDGagne / June 11, 2007 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but ...

Thanks for the information and the choices I have to decide. Much appreciated. Larry

Collapse -
Can I use Excel or Word to manage e-mail distribution lists?

I have the same query. I use a Mac (OS Tiger) and and use an old version of MacOffice (Word and Excel v.X for Mac) and Apple Mail. I want to be able to use Excel ideally to store email addresses and then trigger it to send all the addresses to the Mail programme to send emails to members.
I have only done a small amount of programming but am confident I could get my head around it as I have designed websites with all sorts of facilities after teaching myself how to use html tags.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?