Question

Can I use an older iMac G5 PowerPC as a second monitor ?

I would like to use an older iMac G5 with the PowerPC chip as a second monitor for my new iMac 27" G5, I this possible and if so, how do I go about it
Thanks in advance for your help

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can I use an older iMac G5 PowerPC as a second monitor ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can I use an older iMac G5 PowerPC as a second monitor ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: using a Mac as a monitor.

No. A Mac (or a PC or laptop for that matter) doesn't have video input. Sometimes you can add a TV card (so it has an input for analog or digital video, like your cable company supplies), but then you'll see that your new iMac can't supply such an analog or digital signal on a coax cable.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Try Synergy

Synergy is designed exactly for this purpose, however there might not be a build for a G5 MacIntosh, though it might be worth a shot to have a look.

http://synergy-foss.org/

- Collapse -
Good idea but,

doesn't it only allow the sharing of Computers, kind of like a software KVM switch?

The OP is trying to use a computer as an additional monitor.

P

- Collapse -
Yeah, you're right...

I'm not sure what I was thinking! Thanks for calling that out.

I'm sure it would be possible with software via a network connection between the two machines, but that software may not yet exist.

- Collapse -
Answer
Let me Google this for you.

CNET Forums

Forum Info