Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can I use a switch to share an internet connection

by kdeepak1 / April 2, 2007 1:45 AM PDT

I want to share the internet connection between my 2 PCs which are 35 meters apart and running on Windows XP. I want any of my pcs to have an internet connection any time without depending on the other one (Not depending on the server system to be turned on for sharing the connection) and without the concept of proxy.
Can I use a switch for this purpose or Is it must to use a Router.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I use a switch to share an internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I use a switch to share an internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A switch can be used but is costly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 1:55 AM PDT

Your ISP will charge for the second IP address so even in the first month the router is cheaper.

Bob

Collapse -
Switch is cheaper than Router, Isn't It?
by kdeepak1 / April 2, 2007 2:12 AM PDT

Thank you for the reply Bob,

Iam from India and I have a broadband connection subscription for 1 yr and can be extended too, but what I heard is a swith is cheaper than a Router, So if I use a switch is it possible to share the connection without the server system turned on?

Thanks in Advance.

Collapse -
If the ISP charges are cheap enough but here...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 2:20 AM PDT

Here the broadband charges are about 50USD a month. A router is less than that so in one month you would incur more costs than a router.

No, you can't share a connection on a switch. But your costs have to be firmly stated to figure out if you could use the ISP's offer.

Bob

Collapse -
If the ISP charges are cheap enough but here...
by kdeepak1 / April 2, 2007 2:33 AM PDT

The broadband charges here are Rs 10800 per anum (approx. 230 USD i.e 20 USD per month) and the cost of switch is Rs 900 (20 USD) and the cost of Router is around Rs.2000 (45 USD).

If I cant use swith for sharing without server then i must go for Router.

Collapse -
Internet Connection
by colbox98 / April 2, 2007 2:12 AM PDT

This will depend on what equipment your internet provided uses. I would say for the most part you will need a router (it's a better idea for security reasons anyway.) But I was surprised to find that with my internet connection (w/ the supplied modem) I was able to plug in a switch and get directly to the internet from both machines. If you already have a switch laying around you could try it out.

Collapse -
Share internet without equipment
by jkmlaok / October 31, 2009 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet Connection

One computer running xp pro can be configured under network connections to share a connection. plug that computer after it is set up to share the connection, into the internet plug on the router with wireless or lan setup!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?