Laptops forum

Question

Can I upgrade the processor of my Lenovo G40-30 into i3 proc

This is the Specs of G40 30
Intel Quad Core 2940 Processor, DVD-RW Drive, 500GB Hard Drive, Intel Graphics, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 14" LED Display, Windows 8.1 SL Software.

I hope you answer it correctly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I upgrade the processor of my Lenovo G40-30 into i3 proc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I upgrade the processor of my Lenovo G40-30 into i3 proc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.

In reply to: Can I upgrade the processor of my Lenovo G40-30 into i3 proc

As in not supported. If you want to try, sure but no one seems to support such changes.

With only 2GB RAM, you would get far more of an upgrade by maxing that out. Pop some SSD in and it will seem like a new laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
so the answer is no

In reply to: I'm going with no.

So what can I do to improve the performance of my laptop! I want it to become more faster what thing vfaster can i do?

Collapse -
Re: faster

In reply to: so the answer is no

As Bob said: double the RAM, replace the HDD by an SSD.
And of course: clean from malware, don't run background programs you don't need.

Kees

Collapse -
sadsad life huhuhu

In reply to: Re: faster

So if I make it 4gb it became more faster? And no need to change the processor?

Because I want to play many games like 2k14 and DOTA2

Collapse -
So far, unsupported.

In reply to: so the answer is no

That is, no one I know would support it so that's a no to most folk.

There are other areas you can speed this up. Mind you it will never be a gaming laptop but it can be quite nice.
Bob

Collapse -
faster

In reply to: So far, unsupported.

So if I make it 4gb RAM it become more faster? And no need to change the processor?

Becaue B The only thing I want is to play an online game like dota@ 2 and NBA2k14 can I play it both if I make it 4gb of Ram?

Collapse -
Then no.

In reply to: faster

Even changing up the CPU won't get it gaming. Do you have any XBOX/PS3+ or an old desktop?
Bob

Collapse -
No I dont have

In reply to: Then no.

So the best thing I can do is double the RAM?
Or sell it and buy a new one

Collapse -
No.

In reply to: No I dont have

Even if we dive into what OS (must be 64 bit) this laptop will never be a gamer. It's a dead end so don't invest more bucks. With a 64 bit OS we can kick it's overall performance up a lot but gaming? Maybe the old Doom will play but you listed current gen games.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Yes

On the Lenovo website it mentions the processer can go up to I7 ,Just look in specs.

Collapse -
Answer
Typically the expensive

In reply to: Can I upgrade the processor of my Lenovo G40-30 into i3 proc

gaming machines are the only machines you can upgrade processors especially now with the Intel and AMD integrated graphics. You have to remember motherboards for laptops are different for every laptop unlike the desktop mobo's were cases are more standard.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.