Desktops forum

General discussion

Can i upgrade my video card?

by ploboyfrias / January 21, 2010 11:21 AM PST

I know nothing about computers and I'm trying to play higher end games but my graphics card can't handle most of them.

I have a GeForce 8300gs in my Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista.

System Specs:
Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090805-0102)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 530
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 2075MB used, 2262MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8300 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0423&SUBSYS_049410DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 879 MB
Dedicated Memory: 113 MB
Shared Memory: 766 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.5828 (English)

I know this computer is nowhere near fit for gaming. But could i upgrade the video card to a mid-end gpu? (and my processor meets min. requirements for the games i want to play, but i know sometimes ur processor needs to be good enough to work with your gpu.)
I was looking to get a radeon 4850 or something around that performance range.

**Not sure if i need a new PSU with an upgrade cuz i have no clue what the wattage is. (Probably no higher than 550)

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can i upgrade my video card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can i upgrade my video card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It happens
by Willy / January 21, 2010 11:41 PM PST

Reviewing the specs suggest you have an integrated video port and not a video card. If that's the case, buy a new video card and install it. Read the instructions to disable the current integrated video and continue on. If I'm wrong, then its even easier, install new card and if Nvidea chip based, should be as before with better capabilities. If not but an ATI chipset, be sure to de-install the old video and so on. Again, read the instructions.

Now, will this make your gaming experience better. It should, but all too often gaming demands so much from t a system that it can be hard to zero-in on all aspects. So, be sure you install correctly and follow the instructions. OEM type systems are that much harder to improve on as they tend to use less than capable gaming setups. But that's OK for reg. usage, but gaming is more demanding and some fall short, so take that into acct..

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
checking the specs...
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 12:20 AM PST

Checking the specs of your computer (and more importantly your computers' motherboard); I see that the video chipset is NVidia, which means that it would be better if you ran with an NVidia graphics card.
Perhaps this is more what you're looking for in a mid-range card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130435

Second thing to consider (for gaming purposes) is upgrading your RAM (or memory), here is the link for Crucial memory, configured to your computers' specs.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%20530&pl=Inspiron%20Desktops&cat=RAM

The last thing to consider is replacing your power supply with something that will easily power your new graphics card; you'll need a minimum of 400 watts, from a reputable manufacturer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

Collapse -
It would be to be your benefit to open the case
by VAPCMD / February 6, 2010 1:31 AM PST

and verify what motherboard slots you have for a new GPU and the PSU wattage.
Knowing what slots you can possibly use for the GPU along with the PSU wattage gives you factual info to explore upgrade options.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?