Mac OS forum

Question

can I upgrade my imac 1.8 G5 from OS X 10.4.11 to Leopard?

by gluvz / October 22, 2011 8:45 AM PDT

Wow I'm new to mac's and so far I can't hardly refrain from chucking this piece of crap out the window. Just bought this G5 and its only 3 years old. It has os x version 10.4.11. Well for some smart reason I can't run any of the apps I want to without having 10.5 leopard. I've tried installing leopard but the ******** (super-drive) doesn't read DL DVD's. I've searched everywhere for a solution to this....but nothing. Apple really drop support after 3 years? I'm going insane...Please help someone.... Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can I upgrade my imac 1.8 G5 from OS X 10.4.11 to Leopard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can I upgrade my imac 1.8 G5 from OS X 10.4.11 to Leopard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sure about that?
by Jimmy Greystone / October 22, 2011 10:10 AM PDT

Sure about that? My guess would be more that the optical drive on the unit is dodgy. Near certain I had an 04 iBook G4 that was able to read DL discs without any issue. I'd have to double check to be sure, but I don't think a drive needs anything special to READ a DL disc. Write would be another story, but not sure about read.

Anyway, if you have another computer around, even a PC, you can dump an image of the disc to an ISO, and then with a little searching you should be able to find a website or two talking about how to reduce the thing down to what can fit on a single layer drive. Though I would be sure to check the optical drive on that unit with regular DVDs before wasting the time.

Collapse -
Answer
I agree with Jimmy on this one,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 23, 2011 12:12 AM PDT

The 1.8Ghz G5 iMac was discontinued in May 2005 (20") and October 2005 (17" ALS) which makes your machine at least 6 years old.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.