Computer Help forum

Question

Can I upgrade my HP ENVY PC Motherboard?

by stampedecomputer / February 24, 2015 1:45 PM PST

Hello I ran into a problem with my HP Envy 700-059c , i recently upgraded the OS from the stock HP windows 8 to a fresh 8.1 with WMC using legacy mode in BIOS. The problem occured when I updated the BIOS and it flashed wrong. So now when i power on the computer it doesnt display bios or boot to anything at all and it restarts after about 15 seconds automatically but still dislays nothing and sits idle. I have realised that this is a Motherboard issue and that it needs to be replaced in order to display anything fof me again. Now my Question is do i Have to buy the same Motherboard or can i buy a newer better one and will it work with all my hardware components??

Here are my PC's specs:

HP Envy 700-059c
Intel Core i7 4770 processor
12gb ram
MSI 7826 z87 (kaili) Motherboard (corrupt BIOS)
Nvidia Geoforce GTX 760 2gb graphics card

So is it possible to replace the motherboard with something other than the stock MoBo? If so what would be a good motherboard choice? Would a z97 mobo be better? i just want a working computer again but don't wan to shell out 180+ for a stock motherboard if i can get something better for half that.

thank you for your time. any other questions or info needed please reply i will take all the help i can get.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I upgrade my HP ENVY PC Motherboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I upgrade my HP ENVY PC Motherboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My understanding is...
by Oldartq / February 24, 2015 2:55 PM PST

it doesn't have to be an exact replacement, but you need to check with HP to see what board are allowed that can be a replacement for that particular computer model. I read that somewhere.

Collapse -
I contacted HP and...
by stampedecomputer / February 25, 2015 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: My understanding is...

So I contacted HP and they told me since I had my own licensed install of windows on the computer it will allow me to use a different motherboard although some components on the PC might not work properly, but when I asked what type of motherboard I would need they would not give me the information because they said it was against there policy. So install ask does anyone know what type of motherboard would work?

Collapse -
not totally true
by renegade600 / February 25, 2015 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: I contacted HP and...

you said you upgraded???? If the os you upgraded to was an upgrade version and not a full retail version then you cannot use it. in order to use it, the previous version that was used to justify the use of the upgrade must be legal with the new motherboard. It is not legit since the manufacturer oem cannot be transfer to the new motherboard.

as far as replacing the motherboard, it must fit the oem case and the power supply must be able to handle it. If you replace the motherboard, you may have to replace the ram and other components.

Collapse -
heres motherboard link
by stampedecomputer / February 25, 2015 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: not totally true
Collapse -
not talking about hp upgrade
by renegade600 / February 25, 2015 4:26 PM PST
In reply to: heres motherboard link

I was talking about a retail upgrade version - nothing to do with hp. you get your own key with that too.

Collapse -
Answer
the short answer is;
by James Denison / February 25, 2015 11:22 AM PST

since this is an ATX desktop, yes, if the motherboard fits the case, it looks to be a standard size. If you want to retain the CPU, RAM, then make sure it has he correct specs for those.

Collapse -
Now that it's a desktop the thing is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2015 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: the short answer is;

You might find the service manual for it and then the service manual for the OTHER board. Since it's HP you might, and barely might save the OS. HP and Microsoft will NOT tell you it will survive.
Bob

Collapse -
Link finds the motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2015 12:01 PM PST
Collapse -
few motherboard options will these work?
by stampedecomputer / February 25, 2015 12:20 PM PST
Collapse -
some suggestions
by James Denison / February 25, 2015 6:48 PM PST

There's 2 I really like in this listing, but you'd need to be sure your case had the room to fit. Your motherboard is 9.6 x 9.6 inches, so if there's no more room allowing 12" the long way, your choices become more limited.

=============================
Z97 versions
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128727&cm_re=z97_motherboard-_-13-128-727-_-Product
8.9" x 7.6" size. Smaller fits. onboard video.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130779&cm_re=z97_motherboard-_-13-130-779-_-Product
Yours is 24x24 or 9.6x9.6 inches. This mobo is 12.01" x 8.66", so you'd need to measure space to be sure it fits.
Onboard video.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128714&cm_re=z97_motherboard-_-13-128-714-_-Product
worth the extra $20 or so. Size is 12.0" x 8.4", so would need to measure for case room. Your current is 9.6" x 9.6"
HDMI, VGA, DVI, lots of extras for few more dollars. However, see reviews, large number come DOA, 32% bad score. Risky.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128706&cm_re=z97_motherboard-_-13-128-706-_-Product
Size = 12.0" x 9.2" so measure case for fit. Good Reviews. $139 No VGA nor DVI, but HDMI & display port only.

================================================
Z87
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979&cm_re=z87_motherboard-_-13-131-979-_-Product
VGA, DVI, HDMI, 2 x16 video card slots, size 12.0" x 9.6" so measure, onboard video, wifi, bluetooth, LAN, 69% positive reviews, looks good if it fits and I'd probably go for it. $140, Tom's Hardware Approved!!!!!!!!!! Smart Buy Award~!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130738&cm_re=z87_motherboard-_-13-130-738-_-Product
MSI, wifi, DVI, HDMI, Display port, Mini ITX so it fits easy, $140, Mini-ITX is a 17 x 17 cm (6.7 x 6.7 in) Needs latest BIOS to correct dual video problems where 2 monitors are used, 31% dissatisfaction rate, "Cons: *WARNING*
If your bios version under 1.6, you have to update your bios so MB can shut off or restart. It doesnt shut off"

Collapse -
Answer
I'm curious
by James Denison / February 25, 2015 7:07 PM PST

Did you try to flash the motherboard a second time? Probably not able. Did you "short" the BIOS *(actually the CMOS chip)? Many of the newer boards have double BIOS so the backup will become effective when shorted.

Collapse -
Answer
Well a couple of things.
by orlbuckeye / February 25, 2015 9:28 PM PST

One the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 was free through the MS Store. Then you can purchase WMC through Anytime upgrade inside of Windows. So you really didn't need to purchase Windows 8.1. Now to Mobo. How old is the PC? Is it under warranty? If you keeping the same components why do you need to get a different mobo. Now if you wanted to purchase faster memory or upgrade components that require a different mobo then I would n't to a different motherboard unless you get one cheaper (with the same specs). You label all these parts as stock but they are 3rd party components. MSI and Microsoft (Windows) which aren't designed specifically for that HP like laptops mobos are.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.