Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can I upgrade from pirated to legit Windows XP Pro?

by randymyers / December 3, 2003 4:20 AM PST

Hi - In Nov. 2001, I bought an HP Pavilion pre-installed with Windows XP. Shortly thereafter, my son, who builds and plays with computers the way some kids play with cars, offered to put his copy of Windows XP Pro on my machine to make it easier to network our computers (as I recall). Anyway ... it turns out this is a pirated version of XP Pro. I would like to buy a legitimate version and install it on my computer. I have two questions:

1) Do I need to buy the full version, or can I use the cheaper upgrade version?

2) Any pitfalls to watch out for? I'm hoping that I can just stick the CD in my computer and it will install flawlessly over the existing version. Is that hoping too much? For example, I get automatic notification when Windows updates are available and routinely install them. Will this present tricky questions for me, like whether or not to overwrite the newer files during install?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sign me,

Hope Tugo Legit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I upgrade from pirated to legit Windows XP Pro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I upgrade from pirated to legit Windows XP Pro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DON'T DO THIS! Just change the "key". Here's how.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2003 6:21 AM PST
Collapse -
If I understand you correctly ...
by randymyers / December 3, 2003 6:40 AM PST

Okay, Bob. So if I follow, you're suggesting that I buy the new version of XP Pro, but simply use that Product ID (change the key) rather than actually reinstalling Windows. Do I have that right?

If I do, would you think I need to buy the full version, or just the upgrade version?

Thanks again.

Randy

Collapse -
Re:If I understand you correctly ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2003 6:49 AM PST

Your choice on the reinstall. It takes about 5 hours or more for most and the results can be a total do-over and all data gone. What more can I add?

As to the license, it depends. If you have a license to a qualifying OS and the CD's to reinstall the old OS, then the upgrade is cheaper.

Bob

Collapse -
Additional Option
by brian1951 / May 13, 2006 3:53 PM PDT

As an alternative, if you already have the install CD that your son used to put the OS on your machine...to make it legit you can simply buy the key and license from places like Software Surpluss or Trust Price.com to name a few.

Collapse -
Since you asked, just what I have had happen
by lacsr / May 13, 2006 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Additional Option

You really need to know which OS your son used in the first place. I have found that an Upgrade version will NOT accept a full version key. This was with WindowsXP Home edition. I had reinstalled the OS on a machine I was working on. The version key the owner had was an Upgrade key. I had used the disk from a full version for the install and the key was not accepted for activation. I had to wipe that install and then redo it with the upgrade disk and then the key was accepted. I have not used Windows XP Pro upgade but would assume it to be similar.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.