Phones forum

General discussion

Can I unlock a altel or sprit phone for At&t use?

by nogoodphoneswithatt / September 10, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

I want a LG scoop or envy or something like it. A text phone. At&t just doesn't have anything that I'm looking for. They have a Pantech Duo but it is for the business people like most of their high end phone are for. I want a phone with a full key broad & camera that does the basics. I found that in At&t competitors phones just not at&t. Does any one know how to unlock the competitors phones? Or does anyone know when at&t is going to start competing with the other carriers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I unlock a altel or sprit phone for At&t use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I unlock a altel or sprit phone for At&t use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 10, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

Alltel and Sprint use CDMA networks and At&t uses GSM, two incompatible networks.

Collapse -
they are all 'competing' per se
by Pepe7 / September 11, 2008 12:24 AM PDT

In fact, ATT probably already has the best selection of phones if you include the fact that you can easily bring in an unlocked GSM phone of your choice provided it has the 850 & 1900 bands for use in the U.S. But perhaps the Pantech keyboard is a little small for straight up texting. How about a T-Mobile sidekick?

I found the following LG phone which would come close to meeting your needs. If you can find a version which includes the 850 band you would be fine w/ ATT.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_kt610-2272.php

There's a nearly indentical phone called the EnV2 if you wanted to stick with a CDMA carrier which could accept another CDMA phone they didn't sell-
http://www.lgmobilephones.com/phone.aspx?id=7282

Another hard to find phone that would work, albeit without most of the bells and whistles of newer phones, is the LG F9100. You could try ebay for that one since I bet it would sell for a song now.
http://www.lgmobilephones.com/phone.aspx?id=1154

-Pedro

Collapse -
I'm in the same boat
by MuleHeadJoe / September 13, 2008 12:54 PM PDT

I currently have a BlackBerry Curve, used to have an LG F9100 ... the Curve has too many bells and whistles for me and the keyboard is too small for my pudgy fingers when trying to type.

The F9100 has a good keyboard but the screen is so effin small it's not much good for anything other than plain texting.

There's scads of new & used F9100's on eBay, some of them with B.I.N. prices exceeding 200 bux ... be careful!!!! I bought mine in an eBay auction for 65 bux last year, new in box, so it is definitely not a multi-hundred dollar phone. You might also consider the LG F9200 which is basically just a cosmetically enhanced F9100.

I would like something like the LG Voyager or enV (both Verizon phones) or even a SideKick, but the only wide-qwerty phones in the ATT stable currently is the Pantech Duo, which is cool but too small for my fingers, and the HTC (aka ATT) Tilt, which is bigger but still way too expensive (300 bux with a contract!).

Anybody know of a website where one could simply look up models of phones to see if they're unlockable and if so, what services they'd work on? I've been burned before when buying unlocked GSM cell phones on eBay that the seller said would work on Cingular, but didn't. It's hard to tell who to trust ... there are LG Voyagers on eBay indicating they're GSM which would make them potentially compatible with ATT, but the LG website itself shows the Voyager as CDMA only.

Collapse -
OT - Tilt now cheaper since it's on the way out
by Pepe7 / September 15, 2008 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm in the same boat

AFAIK you could possible obtain a Tilt for $49 (or less) with a contract that requires a data plan. At least the savings could pay for a few months of 3G data if someone wanted it. Look at Amazon-

http://www.amazon.com/AT-T-Tilt-Smartphone/dp/B000UWDU5K?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1204144347&sr=8-1

FWIW, there's no single web site with the entire encyclopedia of wireless handset models. There are way too many intricacies and new models that would make it nearly impossible to track the unlocking process. You're better off posting a message at Howardforums.com where the gurus hang out. I normally get a technical answer there within a couple of days, and their search feature is very powerful IME.

Collapse -
my phone problems
by nogoodphoneswithatt / September 15, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

I don't want to have to go out and buy a phone over seas or buy a phone that is unlocked. I'm a young collage student that just doesn't have the money for that. I have a contract up grade with At&t and I need a new phone badly but I just don't want to settle for what At&t has to offer right now. I could cancel my contract with At&t and get the phone I want for a collage friendly price but it has taking me so long to get the phone plan the way I like it now. I'm just between a rock and a hard place. I just can't believe At&t isn't offering what the competitors are it is so unlike at&t not to keep up with what everyone else has.

Collapse -
Give a Pantech Duo a try for 30 days
by Pepe7 / September 15, 2008 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: my phone problems

Again, I disagree that ATT is not keeping up. If anything, it's the other way around since by the virtue of GSM/UMTS, you can use a myriad of phones on their network. Your needs are very specific, unfortunately. Hopefully you can snag an ATT service discount through your university.

I'm not sure why you don't grab a Pantech Duo and try it for 30 days. The qwerty keys seemed a lot more useful than my Tilt, anyway. It might be worthwhile to try once as an upgrade. You can find all sorts of useful tips on the WM6 functionality on some of the web sites more dedicated to wireless like Hofo.

-Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?