HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Can I start a poll?

by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2007 5:57 AM PDT

Why did you "upgrade" (HA!) to IE-7?

I've been doing computers since I wrote RPG and FORTRAN for the IBM 360 so I know a little something about the subject. Putting a punch card in the IBM collator just a little sideways just to see what would happen is fun. The results are not. But the punched holes make great confetti.

I have tried IE-7 and I honestly cannot see any benefit. Is there something I'm missing?

Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I start a poll?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I start a poll?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Can I start a poll?

That's you answer to, "Can I start a poll?"

However, since you already have;

I don't like and don't use IE7 except when I have to, eg the odd web site that still refuses to acknowledge the existence of other browsers, or if ever I need to visit Windows Update, (which I haven't needed to for a while). I didn't like IE6 that much and used it about as much as I am using IE7.

That said, I am one of the people who believe it is important to keep up to date with Windows Updates from a security point of view. I know many argue that Microsoft are to blame for all the bad issues with the internet nowadays and although I don't necessarily subscribe to that view, I do recognize that Microsoft are continuously updating its software to combat security problems. Hence I keep Windows as up to date as possible, and since IE is integrated so completely into Windows, I keep that updated as well.

There is one thing I like about IE7, the new tabbed windows options. But since Firefox has had that for centuries I think Microsoft missed the boat with that feature.

Mark

Collapse -
I am with you, Mark :)
by glenn30 / October 10, 2007 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

I keep it updated but never use it. Firefox serves me just fine... thank you!

Glenn

Collapse -
Don't beat around the bush. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 10, 2007 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

Yes or no? Wink Just kidding.

I use IE for MS updates and browsing in general. I do use FF but only once in a while. I haven't found a site that wants IE7 but I haven't found all the sites on the net yet.

Tabbed? I can take or leave it, I'm just used to opening in a new window if I want. Don't use tabs in FF and didn't in IE7. Just never saw the need.

I was just trying to get a feel as to why someone, anyone, would move to Seven when Six still works.

Wayne

Collapse -
to me it's all about personal preference
by killav / October 19, 2007 5:36 PM PDT

Everybody has a thing they like to use, and there's nothing wrong with that. My wife calls me a power downloader and yells at me to just leave it alone. I run win xp pro and have tried firefox, avant, even the browsers from the different isp providers. To me it depends on the core program your running. I just installed ie7 and it seems to work better than ie6 with xp pro. As far as security, I trust my avast and spyware terminator over microsoft, because hasn't anybody noticed, over the last few years before you do a ms download, the checkbox isn't there anymore for "always trust microsoft"

Collapse -
change from IE6 to 7
by andyjames / October 19, 2007 6:50 PM PDT

I was forced to change because my latest upgrade of Skybot kept freezing IE6 - they recommended the change to IE7. Did anyone else hit this?
andy

Collapse -
I.E.7 Problems!
by tjcher / October 19, 2007 10:32 PM PDT

I was (still am) using I.E.6 but, downloaded I.E.7 per advice from MSN at that time. It created too many problems in too many areas to even begin to elaborate. At that time there was a specific MSN phone No. to call for I.E.7 related problems ONLY. After working with the "help contact" for at least a half an hour, we both agreed that the problems could not be resolved. He suggested that I uninstall I.E.7 and that I would automatically revert back to I.E.6, which was the case, and all returned to normal. Under no circumstances would I ever attempt to download I.E.7 again! My computer is running Win XP SP2, with MSN 9.5 software and I.E.6 which is working fine.

Collapse -
IE7 and building sites
by mindpower / October 20, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

From a developer's point of view there's a huge difference with you upgrading to IE7. IE6 obeys only 56% of web standards and a LOT of the work put into a big website is spent on hacks and workarounds to make it render in IE6. IE7 is a lot better, though still far from perfect. The more people use IE7 the less us developers have to waste time on IE6 fixes.

Collapse -
IE7
by elvis19777 / October 20, 2007 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: IE7 and building sites

I have IE7, but don't use it. I have Avant,Ace,slim browser and FF which beat IE7 hands down. To me IE7 is a pieace of trash.

Collapse -
Browsers
by kjdinoc / October 20, 2007 1:16 PM PDT

I've tried them all. I have Opera, Firefox and Safari Beta on my machine.

Inevitably using anything other than IE7 I encounter websites that won't work right. SO, I finally decided why bother with all the others when IE7 just always works.

As far as the upgrade from 6 I believe better security and features such as tabbed browsing make it worth the update.

Collapse -
ditto
by killav / October 21, 2007 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Browsers

I ran into the same thing with FF. I had read the report a while back about certain sites that wouldn't accept third party browsers, and recently ran into the jam a month ago.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.