Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can I speed up my bandwith

How can I increment my downloading speed with DSL? I'm at 1Mbps out of 100Mbps that the task manager shows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I speed up my bandwith
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I speed up my bandwith
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Task Manager?

In reply to: Can I speed up my bandwith

I'm not sure how you equate the Task Manager, (Networks tab?), with your DSL ISP connection speed.

I don't know DSL, but with broadband your connection depends on the package you have purchased with your ISP; eg, you join up for a 1Mbps service and you get 1Mbps, or you sign up for a 10Mbps service, and you get 10Mbps.

Of course, downloads may not always be at the speed you have signed up for. Internet traffic, broadband capacity etc may affect downloads, and uploads will nearly always be slower.

However if you have signed up for a service with greater than 1Mbps and you are only getting 1Mbps, then you could get a speed check done online, one of the favorites is;
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Also, you could confirm with your ISP what speed you should be getting.

Mark

Collapse -
Task manager/ LAN

Looking at this I'm thinking the graph shows network utilization not the speed of the connection.

Visit PC Pit Stop to test your bandwidth. Tho take the answers with a grain of salt ... advertised speed does not always equal actual speed, read the fine print w/your carrier....

Bill

Collapse -
Re: Can I speed up my bandwith

In reply to: Task manager/ LAN

The answer here is yes and no. It all depends on what type of conection you use and what ISP you have. Basically with dial-up, you can increase the speed somewhat, but with broadband you can't. Also your ISP should tell you what speed you're getting connected with them.

There IS a way to speed up broadband, I use it and it's called DAP. What this does is connect you through several "mirror sites", thus increasing the speed, you can get it through /www.speedbit.com/eng/?, the latest version of this is v7.5.1.6 - it's a shareware version so you will have chance to try it out before you have to part with any cash.

Collapse -
Speeding up bandwidth

For DSL, you get what you signed up for. However, most ISP provide the DSL service on a "best effort" basis, and is excellent if you can get 75%. Some things you can do.

? Reset your modem/router.
? Renew your IP address.
? Flush your DNS.
? Check your modem and router settings with those provided by your ISP.
? Check your phone line quality, both physical condition and signal.
? Make sure others are not "stealing" your bandwidth. The bandwidth is shared by users inside and outside(if wireless) of your house, although the bandwidth from the ISP to you is unaffected by the number of users.

Collapse -
Internet speed vs. local network speed

Typical DSL and Cable Internet service is less than 10Mbps. You probably subscribed to 1Mbps service, which means that the maximum speed from the Internet to your computer is 1Mbps.

Now, your network adapter (10/100 network interface card) is circuitry in your computer that has a theoretical maximum transfer of 100Mbps. Therefore, the limiting factor is the speed of Internet download service you purchased (1Mbps) and not your computer (100Mbps).

Collapse -
Thank you Mark... I have another problem.

My uncle's desktop can't go on the Internet, he has DSL (properly connected). I brought a laptop to his house and it picks up the wireless DSL signal good and I can go on the Internet. What gives?

On a different house the same problem but with two laptops. They both pick up the wireless signal but only one has Internet access.

Help please.

Collapse -
I am not sure what you are saying

In reply to: Thank you Mark... I have another problem.

Hi Luis,

I'm intrigued. You say your Uncle has DSL but his desktop cannot go on the internet. Is this a problem with his PC?

Like I say, I don't know DSL, especially wireless DSL, but in order for others here to help can you describe the setup in your Uncle's house?

Does he use a router? (Some router's have hardware firewalls inbuilt). Does his Desktop have it's own firewall? Is this stopping the connection?

Is the router connected to a DSL line, then wirelessly from the router to the Desktop?

Has his Desktop ever been able to access the internet? If not, why not? If so, what happens now?

What protection does his Desktop have against viruses and spyware?

Mark

Collapse -
So for...

In reply to: Thank you Mark... I have another problem.

..both houses, only the same laptop can go into Internet ?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.