General discussion

Can I reuse same thermal paste?

I applied some thermal paste from radioshack on my cpu a week ago but then today I was switching the motherboard and I wanted to know cant I just take the heat sink off and just put it back on the new motherboard without reapplying it? I lost my thermal paste and I need to put my cpu in the new motherboard and I wanted to just move it without cleaning and reapplying. Im not switching cpus, Im just moving it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can I reuse same thermal paste?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can I reuse same thermal paste?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not really. . .

There will be gaps. Spring for a new tube.

- Collapse -
Yes&No

If the paste is sufficiently present, sure you can reuse it. That's the true paste, NOT a heat pad which normally is shipped with new cpus. To play it safe, get another tube of paste, which would you rather do, replace paste or burnt-out cpu?

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
The paste is what I just used on it

I used a paste I bought from radioshack then I put it away then now I got my mobo from what I just returned because it wasnt working and I cant find the paste I put away. Its not a thermal pad its a grease from radioshack. Its only been on there for about a week.

- Collapse -
cleaning instructions
- Collapse -
probably not ideal, but it can be done

i have done this on multiple occasions....i know its not ideal. if it is as you say 1 week old you should be fine. i have never had a problem with it.

- Collapse -
I found my old thermal grease

It was behind my comp desk and I used it on my cpu. Thanks for the help anyway.

CNET Forums

Forum Info