Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

can I restore to an earlier username/pw configuration??

by kirkh28 / September 18, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

So, I'm a big doofus. Big problems.

I bought my laptop from work a while back when I got laid off. I've been using it for a while with my own login credentials, when suddenly this morning I had the urge to make it 'my own'.

Here was my major screw up:

1. I went into my computer settings, and changed the computer name.

2. I changed the connection setting from Domain (which was set to my old company domain) to Workgroup - I typed in a new name for a home work group, and received a 'welcome to the workgroup' message.

3. I changed my old generic login name (user name) to my first inital and last name. I also changed the permissions to Administrator. The old name was already set up to be password protected, and I did not change this setting, or change the password that was set. My thinking was that I should change, rather than add a new user, because new applications I installed were aligned with this user. I think this was the big mistake.

I then received a message that I had to reboot, so, I did. (DOH!)

When the login screen appeared, it still had the old username as the default. I changed this to the new user name, tried the old password, no luck. I've tried every combination of new and old info I can think of, but can't log in to the computer.

Because it was a company computer, there is no default Administrator account, so I can't log in as Administrator.

Any advice? or am I completely hosed?

Even if I could restore the computer to yesterday or an earlier user config, I'd be ok. The problem is, even in the safe boot modes I need to login before I can do anything.

HELP!! Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can I restore to an earlier username/pw configuration??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can I restore to an earlier username/pw configuration??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unlikely but we can fix that password.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

Look up NTPASSWD to change it to blank or your choice.

Collapse -
Fixed
by kirkh28 / September 18, 2008 1:45 AM PDT

Catastrophe averted. I found a free utility on the web that lets you manage passwords from a boot CD. Hopefully it didn't install some gawd aweful virus on my machine, but I'm back in business. For reference, the utility can be found at:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

(It worked for my XP Professional environment)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.