How To forum

Resolved Question

can i reformat and keep operating system intact

Can I reformat my hard drive and keep the operating system itact?
mrgil has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can i reformat and keep operating system intact
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can i reformat and keep operating system intact
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mrgil

Collapse -
No.

In reply to: can i reformat and keep operating system intact

By definition a format removes the operating system and all files.

If you have restore media or a restore feature that could avoid the formatting.
Bob

Collapse -
Reintalling OS

In reply to: No.

I have a 6 year old laptop running XP it is so corrupted t takes forever to boot up with many attempts to load some crap, I want to reinstall the OS but it keeps coming back to the same state.
How do I fix it if not a reformat? Will Reinstalling a fresh copy of the OS will erase all the files??

Collapse -
Repair Install?

In reply to: Reintalling OS

If you have the genuine holographed XP Setup CD, then you could attempt a repair install. Link below tells how;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

But heed their warnings, and also I would try to copy off all 'important to you' files, like documents,photos, videos and such before attempting it, as the repair install is not 100% guaranteed.

Have you tried the long-winded manual way to improve performance? eg;

1] Reduce Startup files to the bare minimum using XP's MSCONFIG.

2] Ensure the firewall is on and active, and that your anti-virus is up to date and scans frequently.

3] No other malware is allowed.

4] Uninstall all unwanted and unused applications.

5] Use a recognised and benign 'temp file' cleaner like Piriform's free CCleaner to clean all the junk files out.

6] Use Firefox, or any other non-IE based browser, instead of IE.

7] Keep the system up to date with Windows Updates.

Cool Clean out the dust and grunge from inside the case. Not easy with a laptop but Bob's Sticky thread holds some good advice about that.

That's for starters.

Mark

Collapse -
New Q: Will Reinstalling a fresh copy of the OS will erase

In reply to: Reintalling OS

"Will Reinstalling a fresh copy of the OS will erase all the files??"

That depends. Restore media usually wipes out the old files and returns the machine to its factory condition.

A "full retail XP CD" from Microsoft COULD erase all files depending on its use but even with care it should erase many files.

-> Let's cover a scenario that folk lose their files on a "XP REPAIR INSTALL." The owner follows the usual XP REPAIR INSTALL instruction and when asked for the user name they supply the name they had before.

POOF. All the user's files vanish.

The moderators have a favorite saying. "We only lose what we don't backup."
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.