General discussion

Can I recover this document from the temporary file? HELP!

Here's what happened:

I was working on a paper at school.
I saved the paper and emailed it to myself so I could work on it at home.
I opened the file from the email at home and worked on the paper.

Here's where it gets unclear. I think what I did next is instead of saving by clicking "save as" I just clicked save and the file saved under the temporary file name that Word gave it when I opened the paper. This all happened last night. Now I can't get the document back. Am I totally screwed, or is there anything at all I can do? I'd appreciate any responses as soon as possible. Thanks so much in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can I recover this document from the temporary file? HELP!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can I recover this document from the temporary file? HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Difficult one

I'm not sure if you can.

What happens if you open the paper from the email again? Is it the amended version you saved, or is it the original?

This might be a hard lesson learned. Never open attachments direct from emails. Always "Save as" first, (to virus check them if they are from untrusted sources, even your own), then work on them from the temporarily saved location.

Perhaps others here will have better ideas for recovery.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Another option?

What happens if you open Word, then goto File > Recent files?

Is your document listed there?

Mark

- Collapse -
Another long shot...

Use Windows Search: Start>Search to find Word files containing a unique word or phrase. You can key in dates to narrow down the srarch....

- Collapse -
Re: Can I recover this document from the temporary file

That same thing happened to me when I had to write a really long paper for school. I was so tired that I only clicked Save and not Save as and I couldn't get the paper back. I looked in the Temporary internet files too and it wasn't there. The awful part was, I was free flowing writing so I had nothing down on paper. I had to begin again at the beginning.
Always, always, Save as first! When opening from E-mail. Get in the habit of doing this from now on to avoid future occurences. It's the same as people not backing up their stuff on computers and then when they get a virus and lose everything, the first question asked is, "Did you backup your files?".. I know, it happened to me. I back up now and I Save as first thing when opening a document a picture a spreadsheet from e-mail.
Happy

- Collapse -
Recovery software recommendation by member 'articles'.

The author of recovery shareware recommends to try it.

"Yap.. creating backups and saving the internet files and then opening them is the best advice one can give. If u r still unable to find the modified .doc file then i wld recommend to go for a word data recovery software: http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/Word-Document-Repair-Software.php
The software scans the whole disk and retrieves back the deleted, inaccessible .doc files.

Try the FREE demo version to check whether your file can be recovered by the data recovery software, if yes then u can definately purchase that.

Hope that u have figured out the file till now otherwise this option is always there.

Gud luck!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by member 'articles'.

CNET Forums

Forum Info