PC Applications forum

General discussion

Can I recover deleted items folder contents in Outlook Expre

by Jayare / November 20, 2004 2:28 AM PST

Oh I am in a mess....my son had me checking his email and I decided to empty his deleted items folder...well he also had a keep folder in there and you guessed it...it is now gone. Is there any way that I can get these emails back??? Please help I have been searching the net for 3 hours and cannot find a way to do it. Thanks
He has Windows 98 and using Outlook Express 6

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I recover deleted items folder contents in Outlook Expre
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I recover deleted items folder contents in Outlook Expre
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can I recover deleted items folder contents in Outlook E
by TONI H / November 20, 2004 3:43 AM PST

I believe that when you click the deleted folder within OE and choose Empty/Deleted the items in that folder, they are gone for good........but

You can first try looking in your recycle bin and if they are there, restore them

Then you can take a look in Search/Find, make sure it's looking in the C: drive and not the My Documents location which it uses by default......click Advanced and put a check mark in 'search sub folders', and now in the Files Named area type in *.DBX

Once all the OE mail shows up on the right hand side, hover your mouse over the Deleted Items to see how large it is. If it's a couple of MB's or larger, the files are still on the harddrive. Also look for the subfolder name that he had in OE and see if it's there in the found files list, too.

If you locate those two items, right drag those two to the desktop and choose COPY HERE. Then open OE again, click File, Import, Messages, Mail, OE and using the browse button in the next window, get to the desktop so those two files show up in the window and choose OK. They will be imported back immediately to OE.

TONI

Collapse -
by Jayare / November 20, 2004 4:28 AM PST

Tried that and the file does not show up.....oh am I in trouble...lol. Don't know why he had a file saved in his delete items folder anyway....he should be smarter that that! But of course he probably manually deletes out of there and not thinking I emptyed it....shoot!
I guess I will keep trying to do something.....have downloaded and tried about 10 recovery programs so have probably really screwed things now.
Thanks for trying to help me though. I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 20, 2004 5:05 AM PST

When you say you tried that and the file didn't show up, are you talking about looking in the recycle bin or are you talking about doing a *.dbx search?

TONI

Collapse -
by Jayare / November 20, 2004 5:56 AM PST

I have done both...immediately I checked the recycle bin and it wasn't there, and since then I have downloaded about 15 different programs that say they find deleted files and so far nothing. I did what you said step by step and still nothing.....ohhh I feel so bad and don't know what to do. I have sat here for 7 hours now and am afraid that I have probably overwritten the files by now..
I live in a small town and the computer shop is not open on Saturday so I have not been able to talk to them and I thought that I could just fix this myself. Thanks for caring enough to try and help me.

Collapse -
Most of the downloaded recovery programs
by TONI H / November 20, 2004 6:30 AM PST

are trial versions only and are limited to only letting you know that it found stuff, but won't let you bring the files back until you pay them.

Here are a couple of free programs that are fully functional. Wish you luck.....let us know.

Freeware Data Recovery Tool:

PC INSPECTOR(tm) File Recovery by CONVAR

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

PC INSPECTOR(tm) File Recovery is a FREE data recovery program that supports the FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. Files accidentally deleted or any data from a formated hard disk, Zip, Jaz or floppy disk, can be recovered along with original folder names and file Create and Modified dates within minutes.

To be able to use PC INSPECTOR? File Recovery 3.x you need a working WINDOWS? System. Never install the current version on the drive from which you intend to recover data! The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive.

---------------

RESTORATION:

Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin by mistake. Conversely, delete files completely.

[OS] Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows Me Windows NT Windows 2000 Windows XP
IBM-PC/AT Compatible PC [Author] Brian Kato

D O W N L O A D
http://hccweb1.bai.ne.jp/~hcj58401/REST2514.EXE

REST2514.EXE 193 KB

Also here:
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and so on.

You don't have to install it, so it doesn't leave any garbage in the PC. (You can also run it from a floppy disk.)

MORE:
http://www.datastoragesearch.com/qry/data+recovery+freeware/

TONI

Collapse -
Thank You for
by Jayare / November 20, 2004 11:37 AM PST

all your help and concern! I really appreciate it, I did not find the files but probably because I downloaded some of those trial versions into the same drive that the deleted file was and there is no way that I can find it now. I tried the latest links that you sent but nothing turned up and I just finally got a hold of my son and he laughed his head off.....here I was sick all day and he intentionally deleted that folder and meant for it to be deleted! I told him I will not empty that folder again (he works up near Alaska in the bush) when I delete email for him. Again Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
You're welcome and
by TONI H / November 21, 2004 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You for

Keep the free recovery programs (the downloaded files) in a folder somewhere safe (or at least the links to them in your Favorites), so if you ever need them again, you won't have to install trial versions that don't do you any good unless you pay for them...and overwrite what you want to try to save in the process.

Glad to hear that it all worked out well in the end, and that you've learned something in the process. Learning wasn't for nothing after all.

TONI

Collapse -
.dbx files
by gbdrexler / February 27, 2006 10:42 AM PST

I accidently deleted some files and following your instructions given here I was able to locate the .dbx file and have dragged it to my desktop. You mention to choose copy here. Where do I choose that option?

Do I copy the dbx file to a specific location?

I have the Windows XP Professional operating system and am using Outlook Express 6

Thanks,
Shannon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.