Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can I recover damaged Jpegs?

by saab 900 / May 3, 2007 8:30 AM PDT

My friend prepared to burn a file of jpeg photos but the cd was faulty so she could not complete the operation. I ran CCleaner on the pc and it damaged those jpegs that had been "sent" to Cd-rom and were still in a temporary file. The pictures show a red X against them and cannot be viewed. The size of the jpegs is still viewable, but the information concerning the dimensions has disappeared.
Does anyone know a good software recovery program that might be able to get back the info CCleaner deleted. I know it was CCleaner because I reran the scenario many times and was able to destroy many more jpegs that way! Once a temporary file has been created ready to burn even deleting that file will not prevent the damage if CCleaner is run.
The pc in question is a Packard Bell desk top running XP home edition SP2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I recover damaged Jpegs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I recover damaged Jpegs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where are the originals?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

You say these jpegs were in a temporary file/folder. Does that mean the originals are still ok?

Collapse -
Damaged jpegs
by saab 900 / May 4, 2007 6:49 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply. To answer, the original jpegs are in "my pictures" in a sub folder. They were of a society wedding at St Paul's Cathedral in London and my friend was gutted when I destroyed them, albeit innocently. She had right clicked the pictures and chosen "send to CD" which of course creates a temporary file awaiting burning. Experiments show that once such a temporary file has been created if CCleaner is run it destroys the original Jpegs in "my pictures" by obliterating contents information. Even if the temporary file is deleted CCleaner still destroys the original jpegs when run. I'm assuming it is only if you complete the burning that the original jpegs on the hard drive are safe. It is very frustrating to see the jpegs but be unable to open them because of the deleted data.

Collapse -
I don't understand why CCleaner would do that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Damaged jpegs

It doesn't make sense that CCleaner would damage an image file, or any other type of file, stored in one folder just because there is a copy of it in another.

Are those copies in the temporary file still there awaiting burning? If so, what happens if you try to finish the process and burn them to a CD?

I've Googled "Image recovery software", (without the quotes), and there are such utilities available. If all else fails I can only suggest you try one of those.

Collapse -
(NT) I agree with Mark as to CCleaner doing that
by Tufenuf / May 4, 2007 8:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?