Resolved Question

Can I put a GTX 1060 in my PC?

Jan 22, 2017 12:33PM PST

I bought this computer roughly 3-4 years ago, but haven't had any hardware issues. Is it worth putting in a Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb? And can it even fit? I'm obviously going to upgrade RAM and maybe even processor if needed. Should I upgrade or just build a whole new computer? I want to be able to run most games in 70+ fps at high settings. Here's some pics and specs (Yes, I know it's dusty).

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.693)

RAM: 6gb

Processor:
3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3350P
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)

Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830 Rev x.0x
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

Drives:
ST1000DM003-1CH162 [Hard drive] (1 TB)

Discussion is locked

AmericanAI has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Can I put a GTX 1060 in my PC?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can I put a GTX 1060 in my PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Double-check the Available Space
Jan 23, 2017 2:04PM PST

In the photo you provided it appears that there are heatsink fins situated close to the existing graphics card. The GTX-1060 cards are double-wide, meaning they take up 2 slots even though they plug into just one PCI-e x16 slot. So you need to check if a double-wide card will fit in your available space. The 6GB version of GTX-1060 requires a 400-watt or greater power supply so you should be OK on that point. There are a couple of models that are not very long such as this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261

- Collapse -
Answer
The PCIe slot looks OK
Jan 22, 2017 12:37PM PST

But to see if it fits you'd have to measure if the length of the card fits. Too bad you didn't have a tape measure for scale in the pictures.

As to the power supply, I'd like to see a single rail with 500 or more Watts.

- Collapse -
Jan 22, 2017 6:29PM PST

I already have a 500 watt power supply. Tape measure is a great idea! I'll measure it tommorw, don't know why I didn't think of that. I was asking if a GTX 1060 would fit because the PCIe slot is really close and almost touching the bottom of my case.

- Collapse -
It looks OK here but the length looks short in pictures
Jan 23, 2017 10:05AM PST

The distortion may be why but the area around the slot looked OK in the pics.

CNET Forums

Forum Info