Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can I Please Watch A Movie in Peace?

by Nissj / August 21, 2007 1:36 PM PDT

I recently received a Dimension E521, 32 bit, 1Gb Dell computer with Vista OS as a birthday gift. I also have Verizon DSL.

I love to watch network reruns and old movies on the internet. Some videos I am able to watch without any problems. With others there is continuous buffering. Even Cnet videos stop and start constanstly.

I have tried lowering the buffer, as was suggested by someone at Dell, but it did not help. I have even tried the pause (until the buffer fills) and play. But it gets extremely annoying after several attempts.

I have searched your forums for a solution, but found none helpful. However, I did learn that bandwidth is important, so I tested the bandwidth.

I used your bandwidth tester to test the speed of my DSL. My average bandwidth is 659 kbps (Verizon DSL is up to 768 kbps).

Can you suggest a solution for this problem?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I Please Watch A Movie in Peace?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I Please Watch A Movie in Peace?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
659 is good for DSL.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

Are you running some Microsoft Video Player? If so try others like VLC Player or Media Player Classic.

Collapse -
Can I Please Watch A video In Peace?
by Nissj / August 21, 2007 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: 659 is good for DSL.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Yes, I have a choice between Real Player and Microsoft Windows player. When I watch network videos I use one or the other with the same results.

However, when I watch old movies on Google, the system chooses a player (I do not know which). And I do not know what Cnet uses.

Collapse -
That's The Half-Speed/Cheap DSL...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 22, 2007 1:08 PM PDT

Have you tried watching those same movies on a faster connection at a friend or family member's house?.. My daughter has the Verizon 750 kbps connection and it's just a little slow to watch full screen or high definition clips..

I'm guessing you need the faster 1.5 Mbps or better connection to watch without a buffering issue..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Can I Please Watch A Movie In Peace
by Nissj / August 22, 2007 1:58 PM PDT

Thank you for your suggestion.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?