Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can I partition my hard drive without formatting?

by NickyNoo74 / April 20, 2007 6:49 AM PDT

I have self built amd athlon 2800+xp, windows xp home sp2 installed with a 160gb maxtor diamond 8 hd and and meant to partition the drive last time i formatted but didnt do it but i no longer have access to the windows disc and i really want a partition. Also can anyone recommend the best uninstaller programs 4 stubborn crap that jus dont wanna leave my computer? It's sooooooooooooo slow now. Thankin u in anticipation Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I partition my hard drive without formatting?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I partition my hard drive without formatting?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Windows CD? I wouldn't touch it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

Even though Partition Magic would do this, even the slightest hiccup and that missing XP CD means I can't do the minor repair and the machine is down.

Since we can make a folder and keep it organized that why for now, why not?

Bob

Collapse -
format blah blah hee hee
by NickyNoo74 / April 20, 2007 7:10 AM PDT

yea, the sensible route, i did think of that one ha ha, my other thought was ****** it an buy another drive they're dirt cheap for the sizes an slave it, but dat knocks out a few things if i remember rightly, i suppose i could wait a lil while longer an do long way round, an seein as ur not an absolute idiot(by the sensible ansa) wot bout my 2nd q? wot uninstaller progs do u rate? p.s. thanx 4 advice so far x

Collapse -
I have to pass on the uninstaller. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

I don't need such. I can use the tools that the OS provides and in a pinch I'll use some other power tools. But I don't use or own any uninstallers.

Bob

Collapse -
unistallers
by NickyNoo74 / April 20, 2007 7:17 AM PDT

thought you'd say that too, am jus bein lazy, fan q Wink

Collapse -
Re: uninstallers
by Kees Bakker / July 11, 2010 5:41 AM PDT

Uninstall a program you don't use, doesn't make the machine any faster, so that doesn't make much sense. Uninstalling a program you use, means you can't use it any more, so that makes even less sense.

But we read good things in this forum about Revo Uninstaller and Microsofts Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

Kees

Collapse -
RE:
by Xx1Dustin1Xx / July 11, 2010 9:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Regarding Stubborn Crap That Slows Down Your Computer
by iknowenuf2Bdangerous / November 9, 2010 12:38 PM PST

I had been experiencing the same slowness on my CPU but couldn't find any spyware, etc. but it got slow especially after I tried installing some free crappy anti-virus program. Anyway, one thing I found that helped my system was to do turn off all the start-up programs, and that seems to have helped. Anyway, here's what I did:

(I'm Running Windows XP SP2)
Start Button > Run... > type "msconfig" > hit "OK"

Clicked the "Startup" tab across the top.

It would probably be a good idea at this point to make a list of anything that is not checked in the list.

Clicked the button "Disable All"

You'll notice you can "Enable All," thats why I'd recommend making a list of anything not checked.

Click OK.

At this point I got a message about not being able to access a service, unless I'm an administrator, which I am, so I hit OK. Twice. Jeez.

You'll be asked to restart.

When your system boots up again, you'll see a message that tells you the startup has been altered or something. Say "OK," (I left the box marked "Do not show this again" unchecked as a reminder of the items I removed from auto-starting in case 6 months down the line something didn't work and I don't remember what I changed).

At the next prompt, I hit "exit without restart."

That seemed to get things back to normal, and so far I haven't run into anything that doesn't work without those things running as startup items.

Can't say if this is really safe, but updates still work, virus updates, etc. So far so good.

You can always go back to the msconfig and turn it all back on if something won't respond.

Anyway, hope that helps or is of use to someone else out there.

Please don't sue me if it goes haywire Happy

Collapse -
Just A Note About "Disable All"...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 13, 2010 9:02 AM PST

Generally, there are important programs in the "Startup" tab which need to remain CHECKED. For example, Unchecking your antivirus program will indeed free up memory and speed things up but it leaves the computer defenseless.

Instead of disabling all the items in "msconfig", do a little research and find which ones can SAFELY be disabled. Your basic advice is correct.. Disabling some of the items there helps free up memory/resources and speeds things up.. Still, it's better to CHOOSE which items you want disabled.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?