Question

can i overclock a amd athlon 2 x4 3.10ghz processor?

i basicly want to get the most i can out of my cpu so is it possible to overclock it? the bios settings now are -gpu engine clock 700, -cpu 200mhz. note: i dont mind if i attempt it and burn up the system in the proses i want a new set up anyway i jsut want to see if i can make this one faster without spending more money. i have a asus m4a88t-m mother board and its unlocked so i can adjust the settings.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: can i overclock a amd athlon 2 x4 3.10ghz processor?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can i overclock a amd athlon 2 x4 3.10ghz processor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Look like no.

If you could, you would. Maybe you are asking if anyone knows how and not if you can?

If so, let's find out.

Reading http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TM/ it looks like it's supported. Rather than duplicate the maker's web pages, why not use that?
Bob

- Collapse -
qustion

so like with the turbo V and turbo key do you know how i can open those programs or do i have to download them or something i have the disk that came with the mother board but i cant find much usefull stuff on it. note: im not used to these newer computers as much as the older ones, still learning

- Collapse -
nvm

nvm i found it on the cd i was looking in the wrong folder

- Collapse -
I agree.

Today's documentation is sometimes a hoot.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
You can, but

You can, but since we're dealing with a quad core CPU, I wouldn't. It was tricky enough dealing with single core CPUs, but now you essentially have four CPUs in one, and if one of them starts getting a little too hot, that heat will bleed over into the others. This is why Intel made their Turbo Boost system dependent upon the number of active cores, and I'm sure AMD does something similar in later CPUs.

I'd also wager a guess that you aren't really using the full potential of your current setup, or rather your programs aren't. There's still a bit of a game of catchup being played by software companies to make better use of parallel processing instead of the old method of just trying to jam each task through as fast as possible. The problem is that programming for parallel CPUs/cores is tricky, and there's really only so much the OS process scheduler can do.

CNET Forums