Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can I list all installed apps by date?

by ORfrank / May 16, 2010 7:56 AM PDT

I'm trying to trouble shoot Photoshop 6 which has started crashing frequently as of a couple of weeks ago after being completely stable for a year or more, so I'm looking for apps installed in the last couple of months.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I list all installed apps by date?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I list all installed apps by date?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rough but might be possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 8:02 AM PDT

Let's try the command line for this.

Step 1. CD \

Ok, I'm at the top of the drive.

Step 2. DIR *.EXE /s/a/TC > mylist.txt

Step 3. Exit the command line.

Step 4. Import mylist.txt to a spreadsheet and sort by the date.

Rough but possible.
Bob

Collapse -
Rough but might be possible
by ORfrank / May 16, 2010 9:29 AM PDT

It doesn't work. CMD can't get beyond the "*.exe", it yields some Volume info and "Directory of C:\" and "File not found".

Collapse -
Paste exactly what you typed here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 11:17 AM PDT

It's only the DIR command. The first command most learn. If you never used it, start simple with DIR then start adding more.
Bob

Collapse -
Rough but might be possible by ORfrank
by ORfrank / May 16, 2010 12:01 PM PDT

That's exactly what I did: after trying the whole string, I then typed only "Dir" at the C prompt, then, when that brought up a normal list, I typed "Dir *.exe" only, and that bombed.

Collapse -
Dir *.EXE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 12:14 PM PDT

You didn't tell what message it gave so I can't tell if it was a syntax error or file not found. File not found would be proper in most folders.
Bob

Collapse -
Picture of a DIR.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Dir *.EXE
Collapse -
http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/?actio
by ORfrank / May 16, 2010 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Picture of a DIR.

The top 3 lines of that link are what I got, but then it said "file not found", as I reported earlier. That stopped me dead. And I did type in the spaces as shown. I got the same thing for *.exe alone after the C prompt, so that's where the problem must be.

Collapse -
Re: dir

The /s tells dir to search through subdirectories also. And subdirectories of the root folder, that's the whole disk. I'm rather sure you've got a lot of exe's there. So you must be doing something wrong.

Maybe find a program to do it for you if the command prompt is too difficult. Search for Karens directory printer or so.

Kees

Collapse -
Picture please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 4:19 AM PDT

I shared what I did with a picture. Show my yours.

Collapse -
Picture please and previous message
by ORfrank / May 17, 2010 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Picture please.

DIR is not "too difficult", when I ran it without the "*.exe" it worked fine and showed me the C: directory. When I put in the "*.exe" I got the result that I noted in a previous message, that is, NO file list, the message was "no files found". Yes, my program files are on the C: drive.

As to "Picture Please", what do you mean? A screen capture of the CMD screen with the full message? Please be specific.

Collapse -
Yes, PICTURES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 7:06 AM PDT

I shared so you could see all the / (slash) commands. It appears you got the dir part but since I can't see it, I can't see what you missed.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, PICTURES.
by ORfrank / May 17, 2010 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, PICTURES.

I did a screen capture of the CMD screen, which is as I described it, but don't see any way to post it as a "picture". I'm missing something here.

Collapse -
Look at how I did this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 10:42 AM PDT

I used photobucket. Since text is not working I moved to screen images.
Bob

Collapse -
TiP:
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 10:43 AM PDT

When the forum bottoms out like this, reply to your top post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.