PC Hardware forum

Question

Can i install WD10EZEX in my PC

by ankitagru / November 2, 2014 4:25 PM PST

Hi Guys
My system's motherboard is Intel DG31PR, Processor Core 2 Duo E6550.
My current HD is WD1600AAJS-22PSA0
Interface: SATA 3 Gb/s with 22-pin SATA connector/SATA 1.5 Gb/s with 22-pin SATA connector (Mobile)

SATA type: SATA-II 3.0Gb/s

Now I am looking to purchase WD Blue WD10EZEX which is SATA 6.0 Gbps

Please suggest whether it is compatible? Its costing me 4200 Indian Rupees on flipkart. Is it worth it?

Do i necessarily need to have 4 Pin and SATA Data to Combined SATA 22 Pin Power and where may I find if as I am not able to get it at online portals (India)

Thanks
Ankit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can i install WD10EZEX in my PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can i install WD10EZEX in my PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 2, 2014 5:14 PM PST

It will work, but only at the 3.0 Gbps supported by the motherboard.

Since the motherboard side of a SATA cable is standardized, buy a cable(s) to connect the drive with the motherboard and the PSU at the same time in the same order. Any shop that sells a SATA disk should sell the cables to use it also.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
ANSWER
by Mighty_Miro_WD Western Digital staff / November 2, 2014 5:51 PM PST

Hi there ankitagru!

The WD Blue would work with your motherboard, but you're going to need an additional cable adapter, that could connect the 22 pin SATA connector of the drive to your motherboard's 4 pin connector.

You'll be able to reach the speed of SATA II (which is 3 Gb/s) and not at the one that the hard drive has (SATA III, 6 Gb/s). That is because the Data Transfer Rate (the rate at which data can be sent or received) is determined by your motherboard and a drive with a higher transfer rate will only run at the rate of the motherboard's transfer rate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Cables
by Bob__B / November 2, 2014 11:20 PM PST

Your going from a standard sata hdd > standard sata hdd.

Unless I'm missing something it looks like a straight swap.....cable wise.

Collapse -
Answer
SATA suffices
by Willy / November 3, 2014 1:41 AM PST

Having the SATA ports when connecting is all you need to know. It will work, HOWEVER!!! it will work at the best speed of your mtrbd. provides. Which, I assume is 3gb at best, if you have 6gb then connect to the correct SATA port connection and/or verify if any bios setting requires to be set(not likely), but verify anyways. IN other words the specs need to match for best operation. If there is no 6gb capable port, then you have only 3gb as highest level, even if the HD is capable of better, it just won't run at that speed.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771436.pdf

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.