Tablets forum

Question

Can I install and boot Android from a windows 8 tablet

by JacksJim / July 28, 2013 7:49 AM PDT

Hello, can I boot to Android from a micro drive on a windows 8 tablet? Why choose one over the other, when you can have both. Now neither Google nor Microsoft is going to be of any help with this but can this be done, there are great reasons to want to do it. My company uses MS exclusively, and I use some programs as well, however windows is rapidly becoming the past, and I want to stay in the present. Note I do not want Android inside of win, but on it's own, booted from say a 64gbcard. ???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I install and boot Android from a windows 8 tablet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I install and boot Android from a windows 8 tablet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 8:16 AM PDT

If it's the Windows 8 RT (restricted tablet) then I've yet to see this. And to do that on an x86 machine I would just set the BIOS to boot from the card.
Bob

Collapse -
Looking to buy new
by JacksJim / July 28, 2013 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Which model?

I do not have the machine yet, so I can buy anything. Could I boot Android from the card reader on a Samsung ATIV SmartPC XE500T1C-A01US, I tried to post a link but was not able. I know that this could be done from a laptop with a touch screen, but they seem to be overly expensive. The Samsung that I mentioned says win 8 32bit not win 8rt, but I am not sure that it is not the RT version, I am also not sure why anything new is 32 bit still. Is there a way to get into the bios on a typical tablet the way you do on a conventional laptop? What would be your choice of tablets if looking to boot both OS? Thanks for your time....!

Collapse -
Can't answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2013 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Looking to buy new

It looks possible but be sure to ask Samsung if they allow boot from USB. As you know about secure boot in the new UEFI bios I won't write more but only Samsung can answer if they allow that as well as if they offer a CSM setting (Corporate Stable Mode.)

I did try the x86 Android on a few machines (all x86 based) and it does seem fine.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.