Desktops forum

Question

Can I install a Inspiron 1012 HDD in a Dimension 4600?

by Will72160 / April 8, 2012 4:13 PM PDT

I have a hard drive out of a Dell Inspiron Mini1012 that has the original O/S (Win7) and all factory info on it (replaced it with a SSD and did a fresh install of Win7). Is it possible to put this drive in a Dell Dimension that I have upgraded with a decent graphics card, sound card, 3gb RAM, new 3.06gb NorthwoodHT processor, and am running Windows 8 Consumer Preview on? I have the original Dell install discs and all. I also have Acronis True Image that I can back-up with. I see that I don't have anything to lose to try, but would like to have some input on proper procedure/technique if possible! I can always put the old drive back in if it doesn't work.
Also, I have a IDE to SATA conversion board, so hopefully the new drive will be recognized.
I should also mention that I no longer have the Inspiron Mini, which may be an issue if info from it is needed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I install a Inspiron 1012 HDD in a Dimension 4600?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I install a Inspiron 1012 HDD in a Dimension 4600?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Go for it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 5:33 PM PDT

There is not all the details here but many machines had a SATA port so I'd look for that, use it and skip the adapter.
Bob

Collapse -
SATA port in Dimension 6400
by Will72160 / April 8, 2012 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Go for it.

Would the port be located on the motherboard? It is a 2Y832. I've had this thing apart several times and don't recall seeing a SATA cable, but if I could plug in to the motherboard I'll do that and save the converter for something else.
Also, can I use the cable from the old CD player. I believe it is SATA and does'nt work anyway. In doing this, how would I change SETUP?

Collapse -
Do it and learn from it
by Willy / April 9, 2012 2:16 AM PDT

You're asking some pretty basic questions and you should be careful in at least the application of your new found knowledge.

Let's be clear, if the HD you plan to install uses the same type of connection from old to new PC, then you simply connect properly. If not and you need some converter, then attach and connect again properly(instruction provided?), etc.. next, if you plan to use the HD "as is" with the current OS present from old PC to new, that's not going to work under typical OS restrictions and it was intended that way. You can possibility reload the OS and have a go at it and see where that gets you. If your version of the OS is non-OEM and some retail/upgrade version, it should work, but full details on that side aren't provided. On top of this, I see Win8 in the mix are you planning to install that on your mix of parts? Overall, it seems you got the items needed to proceed, so as you say, "I don't have anything to lose to try" and as long proper connections, etc. are done you try it all. Alas, if there is call for OS key#(located on sticker), then you need that as well, have access to that?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Look at the Documentation?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 2:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
SATA ports
by Will72160 / April 9, 2012 5:20 AM PDT

Thank you! I was actually going to research this myself when I get off work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.