Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can I have multiple reply to addresses in Outlook Express?

by yersobad / November 24, 2008 11:58 PM PST

I'm wondering if there is a way to have multiple reply to addresses in Outlook Express.

My boss wants me to email him all the emails I send out to clients so I put both the client and his email in the To field. However, when the client replies is there anyway that the reply email will automatically go to both my email and my boss' email addresses?

You can't rely on the client to hit "reply all" instead of just reply even if I ask them to in my email so it goes to both of us. I am only part-time so if I'm not here when the client responds, he will have to wait until I am in the office to forwad to to him. It'd just be easier if 2 email addresses could be put in the reply to field in the account options.

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I have multiple reply to addresses in Outlook Express?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I have multiple reply to addresses in Outlook Express?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know about Outlook Express
by Jimmy Greystone / November 25, 2008 12:09 AM PST

I don't know about Outlook Express... I don't use it since I don't particularly care for being at greatly elevated risk of spam, viruses, malware, and phishing attacks. However, you can have multiple reply to fields in Mozilla Thunderbird, so presumably it is possible.

But you, and your boss if he's using Outlook or Outlook Express, would be well advised to move to something else. Pretty much ANY email client that doesn't have Outlook in the name would be a be a big step up security wise. Even Windows Mail in Vista seems to be the product of some hard lessons learned by Microsoft, though it's still too early to tell just how well those lessons were learned.

Collapse -
I didn't know...
by yersobad / November 25, 2008 12:40 AM PST

Oh, I had no idea that Outlook Express had security risks. Thanks for letting me know. I will google Mozilla Thunderbird for info on that program. It's good to know that it is possible for a program to do what I want it to. Thank you.

Collapse -
Unfortunately,There Is No Confirmed Way To Perform Your Task
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't know...

"Reply to All" is appropriate and would do what you want but unless the end user chooses that option, instead of just "reply", there's really no way to know..

You might put the "reply to all" request in the body of you message so that all readers of the message are aware of the need but I've found no way to "require" a user to reply in any form.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I'll confirm that
by yersobad / November 25, 2008 2:18 AM PST

Mozilla Thunderbird will do exactly what I was looking for Outlook to do. When I sent a test email to my personal email and hit reply (not reply all) both my work and my boss' email address were automatically put in the To field. A client would have to delete one of the email addresses if they didn't want to send it to both. We added a line in the signature so clients would know that we wanted their reply sent to both email addresses.

Problem solved by switching email program to Mozilla Thunderbird. Thanks so much for all your help.

Collapse -
Forgot to mention
by Jimmy Greystone / November 25, 2008 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't know...

Forgot to mention, probably one of the best options is to set up a filter rule that automatically forwards any messages from clients on to your boss, regardless of email client.

I don't think multiple Reply-To fields are in any of the official email protocol standards, so while something like Thunderbird might allow you to have multiple Reply-To fields, it doesn't necessarily mean all email programs will honor them. Most probably will, but that's really not a chance you can take in business. Later on, if you boss seems to consistently be getting duplicate emails, you can think about removing the forwarding filter, but until then, better he get too many copies of an email than not get them at all.

Collapse -
Email forward
by yersobad / November 25, 2008 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot to mention

We tried the email forward feature but the problem was that he was getting all the junk email too. In addition the email wasn't forwarded to him until I opened the email program to receive the email. That didn't solve the problem of me being here part-time and him being able to get responses while I was not here.

He didn't want to have to come to my desk and check my email in order for it to forward to his email. That was too much for him to do.

So we'll try this reply to two email addresses thing. Hopefully it works...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.