PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can I handle GTX560?

by jca119 / November 28, 2011 5:38 AM PST

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core Processor 5200+ (2.70GHz)
2GB of ram, a 650watt power supply and an open PCI-E slot
I was just curious would my computer be able to handle a graphics card like the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560/570/580? I used to have an ATI Radeon HD 4850 but its gone now. Just wondering what restricts someone from running a powerful video card? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I handle GTX560?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I handle GTX560?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually it's a power issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Can I handle GTX560?

I don't have the exact PSU to check as well as what the current total Watts are for the machine to see if the 650 Watt PSU is overtaxed. But usually it's just a matter of power and cooling.
Bob

Collapse -
So it's all about the power supply?
by jca119 / November 28, 2011 5:46 AM PST
Collapse -
I like that one. "Dedicated single +12V rail"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 5:57 AM PST

And the good caps make me think there won't be a power issue. Now let's hear about how you have a big case with ample air flow.
Bob

Collapse -
Awesome, case size?
by jca119 / November 28, 2011 6:12 AM PST

What's considered big? I measured mine It's 19 inches in length, 16 inches in height and 7.5 Inches in width. Case inside is organized and all lose wires are tied up.

Collapse -
It's the heat management or air flow
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Awesome, case size?

The major failures I see could be avoided with good PSUs and good air flow. A nice size case is good but unless the air is flowing, all that is for naught.

Many gamers have taken to leaving the side cover off which I've done many times while I decide how I'm going to punch a big hole in the cover to get more flow.
Bob

Collapse -
just an issue of heat management then
by jca119 / November 28, 2011 6:24 AM PST

Alright I guess that solves the problem then, thanks! Are there any other alternatives to getting in good air flow?

Collapse -
Yes. but expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 6:28 AM PST

If you follow the saga of PC power consumption it went up and up for years. Now as newer chips are arriving the efficiency is getting better. Can be pricey to get the latest.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright I guess I'll go with the majority
by jca119 / November 28, 2011 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Yes. but expensive.

So basically as long as I have good air flow now, I can handle a GTX560/570 etc.?

Collapse -
Should be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 6:36 AM PST

More than fine for gamers. I wonder if you worried about CPU horsepower. So far, for most games it's all about the GPU.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds good!
by jca119 / November 28, 2011 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: Should be fine.

So a lot more about the GPU, so my CPU is okay? When is CPU important?

Collapse -
When it's single core and under 1GHz?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds good!

There are few games that tap the CPU too hard. I hope someone lists them for us but for most, it's all about the GPU and for loading times, the speed of the HDD.
Bob

Collapse -
Ah that's good news then.
by jca119 / November 28, 2011 6:51 AM PST

I see, so that's how it works. Thanks for the assistance!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?