Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can I get internet access with only a laptop but no phone?

by stick joe / April 14, 2009 8:38 AM PDT

I need to know if there's a way to get internet access but without the use of a phone or any cable that would hook to a satellite dish, and I can't use a dish either.

Here's my situation :

I'm going on vacation to Florida this summer. The hotel has no wifi access. The hotel also won't let you disconnect your rooms phone cord and plug it into the laptop for dialup access. So, I need a way to get internet access for a month from my hotel room, but how?, is there even a way to do this? It would be great if there were something small to just plug into the laptop and get internet, or whatever (just speculating here..).

Let me know of any ways- if I had a list of ways, then I could choose the best of them, so the more ideas people reply with, the better.

Thanx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I get internet access with only a laptop but no phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I get internet access with only a laptop but no phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contact your service provider
by anmor / April 14, 2009 9:08 AM PDT

ask if you can get a wireless connection that you can use in Florida.
If they have a wireless service in that area, you will need to buy or hire a wireless broadband usb modem. I don't know if hiring is an option but you can ask, there must be others that would require a temporery connection while away on holidays.
In Australia you can buy prepaid wireless broadband, but you have to buy the modem.
One example is Optus for $149 AU.
?Optus Wireless Starter Pack with SIM
?Optus Wireless USB Modem
?Up to 1GB Allowance - valid for 30 days
While it may sound reasonable, they charge in 10mb increments, so if log on to check e-mail, goodbye 10mb.

Collapse -
I reached a dead end
by stick joe / April 14, 2009 9:37 AM PDT

I contacted Comcast, my ISP, they don't offer anything. They said I could buy a wireless card at a store maybe. Is this true?

Collapse -
Certainly true . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 14, 2009 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I reached a dead end

Contact AT&T, Verizon, etc. in that area and purchase an "aircard". You can use it like a cell phone connection, only it'll allow you to access the net. For only one month, you may have to bring money. A lot.

Ever see anyone sitting in a mall, coffee shop, etc. surfing?

Do a Google on aircard. Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T are there.

Collapse -
You Could Also Use A Local Hotspot
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: I reached a dead end

Although the connection wouldn't be directly from your hotel room, there may be a number of internet cafe's or such in the area.

Another option, find a hotel which has internet access.. There should be quite a few in the Florida area.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Access Internet
by techservices24 / April 14, 2009 7:24 PM PDT

Yes, You can access the internet on your laptop by the USB internet card. Many telecommunication organizations are providing this kind of services.

Collapse -
Rent an Aircard from Rovair
by Mark Schenkel / April 16, 2009 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Access Internet

Check out Rovair.com ( http://www.rovair.com ). This is exactly what they do. You can get a price quote right on their site by entering the days you need it. They provide the shipping material and when you are done you simply drop it in a FedEx/UPS Dropbox.

Collapse -
Be very careful of your usage
by dave stosh / July 30, 2009 5:52 AM PDT

Rovair recommended I use CellHire USA to rent an air card to use in Europe. After using it for about an hour (of my week rental), I had a $432.61 bill.

Collapse -
Access points
by Willy / July 30, 2009 9:09 AM PDT

Provided top is capable, buy a wifi card to install in your laptop slot -OR- use a USB port, just get what works. Once done, goto your local library and test it. Of course the library has to provided wifi connection. If none, locate a hot spot or free wifi service in many a restaurant or cafes. You can go online and locate some of that provided it is a big enough o list any. I have found easily the hassle of going to the library using my laptop. also, the library will allow usage for out of towners, for limited use. Wifi access can be had at airports, libraries, cafes, hotels/motels or city downtown, universities, and some on city(park) public places, again these maybe listed via the www. You may want to get a wifi meter for locating such spots as well and check them to be free access or secure.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.