Samsung forum

General discussion

Can I download Samsung TV Apps meant for other countries

by salfil00 / August 11, 2010 10:21 PM PDT

Hi,

I live in Italy and I can't use some interesting TV apps such as Facebook. I have a blu-ray player with 2010 Internet TV capabilities.

I have just read some interesting threads in this forum and my understaning that the TV apps developer sort of tag each app with the list of countries that the app is done for. Actually, I don't understand why this is done, is it simply a language issue?

Is there any way I can change settings so that I am seen as based in some other country? I have tried to change the language settings but this does not help Sad Thanks for your support.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I download Samsung TV Apps meant for other countries
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I download Samsung TV Apps meant for other countries
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TV Apps for pther countries
by millkade / August 12, 2010 8:48 AM PDT

Hi,

I live in Germany, but I changed the user interface language to english. This setting does NOT change what TV Apps you get - I still get the TV Apps for Germany.

On my TV (LE40C652) I can select a different country in the Initial Setup Menu. I havent tried to change that, but maybe that setting defines what set of TV Apps you get.

My TV is a LE40C652, which seems to be available all over Europe. The corresponding US model is LN40C650 and uses a different firmware. I guess by changing the country setting, I might get other european Apps, but maybe still not US Apps.

And even if I could get Apps for another country, my IP address would still identify me as being in Germany, so foreign Apps might not work.

Check this site ( http://www.samsung.com/apps/ ) to find out what TV Apps you are missing. On this site ( http://www.samsung.com/us/samsungapps/ ) you find a link to a list of TV Apps ( http://www.samsung.com/us/samsungapps/Samsung_Apps.pdf ).

I compared those lists to the Apps available in Germany. The missing Apps are video streaming apps like NetFlix, Hulu, etc. They wouldnt work anyway, because their content providers have to check the receivers IP address to obey regional broadcast limitations.

Since you mentioned the FaceBook app - its available in Germany. I cant think of any reason, why it is not available in Italy.

Collapse -
BD-C5300 ver.1016.1
by salfil00 / August 20, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the links. In the meatime the facebook app has been made available to Italy as well. BD player upgraded to latest firmware release, Internet@TV upgraded as well but both twitter and facebook apps do not work because they complain that there is still another upgrade missing: a new download starts and apparently completes, then an installation starts but .... never ends!!!!

This happens on my BD-C5300 Sad

I think that Samsung could do a much better job with their Internet@TV apps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!