Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can I divide a too large partition after XP Pro install?

by seafox13 / February 8, 2006 3:16 AM PST

I have just installed WinXP Pro on a new 200 Gig HDD, intending to have three equal sized partitios, all NTFS.
However, I ended up with only two partitions, the second being twice the size of the first. Grrrrrr!
Can I now divide this second partition into two, after the event, so that I end up with the desired three partitions, using Disk Management?
There is nothing on this partition (D) at the moment, while, of course the OS is on (C).
Thanking you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I divide a too large partition after XP Pro install?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I divide a too large partition after XP Pro install?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Partition Magic
by ruddydawg / February 8, 2006 3:22 AM PST

There is a software tools out there will do it. Partition Magic is what I have used. its a GUI interface and pretty simple to use.

Collapse -
Partitions
by Kono Kusotare / February 8, 2006 3:37 AM PST

Why not delete the D partition, and then create the 2 that you want? This wouldn't require the purchase of Partition Magic.

Collapse -
Prefer to avoid Partition Magic.
by seafox13 / February 8, 2006 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Partitions

Thanks, I prefer to avoid purchasing Partition Magic, and have been scrabbling around in Google and the MS KB.
One is supposed to be able to right click on the basic volume, when a Create Partition command function should appear in the drop down menu box. As yet, I have been unable to produce this.
Oh well, more scrabbling required!

Collapse -
Unallocated space
by Kono Kusotare / February 8, 2006 5:01 AM PST

You can only create another partition in unallocated space. Since you don't have any, you would have to use Partition Magic/3rd party utilities to carve up existing ones. As previously stated, you can simply delete the partition, free up space, and then do as you wish with it. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
You need to DELETE that...
by Edward ODaniel / February 8, 2006 1:42 PM PST

second large partition before you can create another.

Since you have nothing on the large partition you don't need any non-destructive partition utility, simply use the native disk management to delete it and after it is deleted immediately select the newly unallocated space and create a new EXTENDED partition that uses ALL of the unallocated space. Then you select that EXTENDED PARTITION and create a logical drive using half of it, format it then create another logical drive using the rest of the extended partition, format it and you will have three partitions.

Alternatively you could create two additional primary partitions rather than the Extended partition.

Collapse -
There is a solution.
by bafhonline / April 17, 2006 12:07 AM PDT

Hullo guys, this operation could be done without deleting the existing partition. I've used a wonderful tool, named Partition Manager 7.0 Personal Edition to reduce the size of my 160GB single partition to 30GB and create new 1 primary 30GB and 100GB Extended one. I liked the way this software worked. And it costs me about 50$.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!