Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Can I Delete the 1st Instant of Dual Booting OS?

I have an old system---Compaq Prosignia (Intel Pentium III processor 597 MHz. 128 MB of RAM) Desktop with 76.6 GB hard-drive.

OS installed is Win XP Professional. As I was experiencing problems, I installed the same version of Windows as a second OS. Having now found the second OS to be functioning properly, I deleted (instead of uninstalling just to be on the safe side) all folders/files in the first Win-XP. This left a file in System32/Macromed/Flash that cannot be deleted, thus making it impossible to completely clear yhe original windows setup. I needed to do this to speed up the system as it now functions slowly.

One question I have concerning the dual booting system is: Even though, I have disabled the first OS in the BOOT.INI to enable auto booting to the current Win-XP, can I safely delete the the first line that refers to the original Win?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I Delete the 1st Instant of Dual Booting OS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I Delete the 1st Instant of Dual Booting OS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try UNLOCKER to unlock then delete it?

In reply to: Can I Delete the 1st Instant of Dual Booting OS?

Collapse -
Answer
Re: deleting

In reply to: Can I Delete the 1st Instant of Dual Booting OS?

Yes, it's safe to delete that line in boot.ini if you're sure you won't need it any more.

But even after deleting that file from Macromedia and the original Windows folder, the system won't be faster. XP on a Pentium III 597 Mhz with 128 MB of RAM will stay slow.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.