Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can I delete anything with the word ''cache'' in it??

by Kiai / March 2, 2006 5:44 AM PST

Hi there,

I've been looking around but can't find a specific answer to my question.
I want to empty my cache. Not sure where it was so I did a search and loads of items came up. There were folders in C:\Documents and Settings, loads of different ones. Also there was stuff like CACHEDIR.TAG and LISTCACHE.DAT which wasn't a folder but an icon, but maybe this was something that was inside one of the folders. DOH!! I just dunno..... Happy

Is it safe to get rid of everything 'search' came up with, I mean like the whole folder and all the icons with it??

I'm using Win XP and Mozilla.

Thanks in advance, Kiai x

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I delete anything with the word ''cache'' in it??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I delete anything with the word ''cache'' in it??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NO!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 7:33 AM PST

Many of those files are needed. When asked to clean out your "cache", most are referring to the files that are maintained by your browser which allow it to quickly load websites that it's visited before. In Internet Explorer, it's found in the Cookies and Temporary Internet Files folders. It can be cleaned by opening the Control Panel, double click on the "Internet Options" icon, then the "General" tab, then look to the "Temporary Internet Files" section, then click on the "Delete Files" button. When the next little window pops up, choose "Delete all offline content", then click on OK. Now click on the "Delete Cookies" button and the cookies will be removed.

In order to clear the cache in Firefox, open FF, then click on "Tools", choose "Options" When the "Option" window loads, click on the "Cache" tab and choose the "Clear cache now" button. Now click on the "cookies" tab, and delete all the cookies listed there.

Other browsers have similar methods of cleaning out their cache.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: NO
by Kiai / March 2, 2006 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: NO!

Thanks Grif,

Apart from stopping me from deleting needed files I'm still stuck. Me and my B/F both have separate desktops. When he's browsing on his 'side' he can get straight through to a certain site he wants to get to but when I try I keep getting sent to Trustix Secure Linux.
He had registered a domain name and had to wait 24 hrs before it would be in operation. When I tried I went to Trustix....and there was a link there which took me to virtualworlddirect.com (just the ordinary V-W-D site) but when he tried he got straight onto his site, which is virtualworlddirect.com but has his name welcoming visitors. I was thinking it might be something in my cache that was remembering where I had been. I've deleted temp internet files etc but it still keeps sending me there.
If I haven't confused you too much have you any ideas to what the problem might be??
I don't think it's a virus or anything like that cos I do want to get to V-W-D just not thru Trustix....it's really bugging me now.......

Thanks again, Kiai xx

Collapse -
Kiai, It Sounds More Like A Cookie Issue
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re: NO

Have you tried directly typing in the exact same http address in the browser address bar as your friend uses? It may have a slight different context that the link you're using.

In addition, make sure to clean out your "Cookies" folder too.

It may be a spyware issue as well. If you haven't already, please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
RE: Kiai, It Sounds More Like A Cookie Issue
by Kiai / March 2, 2006 9:08 AM PST

Hi Grif,

Did you mis-understand me. Me and my B/F are both using the same computer. I've got all the spyware stuff you mentioned except for Ewido. I've also got Avg, a-squared, spywareguard and microsoft anti-spyware. I'm going to run all these and see what happens.

Thanks again, Kiai x

Collapse -
Yep, Misunderstood..You Said..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 2:10 AM PST

"Me and my B/F both have separate desktops. When he's browsing on his 'side'...". "Separate desktops" to me means separate desktop computers. Either way, even on the same computer, each user carries their own separate "Cookies", "Temporary Internet Files", "Favorites", etc.

The advise I gave above is still correct.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Lol...sorry Grif
by Kiai / March 3, 2006 5:30 AM PST

Hi Grif, Happy

Sorry about the misunderstanding. You probably think I'm a bit of a loon and you'd be right. My computer terminlogy is hardly up to scratch. It's fixed now anyway and I don't even know if I did anything, heh heh

Many thanks for your help

Kiai xx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.