Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can I convert the monitor to USB?

by perfectjoy / April 22, 2004 4:53 AM PDT

Hello everybody~

I need to install a firewire PCI card in my Compaq computer. One problem, though. All my slots are full. I am trying to figure out if I can replace one of the following three PCI cards:
the monitor
the modem
the network interface

I use all of the above, but I need to know if
1. I can use a converter to convert the monitor cable to usb and plug it into one of my many usb outlets. If so, I need to know where I would find such a thing and what type of cable it is. (There's no label on it.)
2. Is there a card I could use to combine the modem and network (thus freeing up one of the ports)? (I use both of them.)

I would VERY much appreciate any help you all could give!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I convert the monitor to USB?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I convert the monitor to USB?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can I convert the monitor to USB?
by glb613 / April 22, 2004 5:46 AM PDT

Most monitors plug into the video card. I doubt you can do without that. I've never heard of a USB device for a monitor. One option might be an external modem.

Collapse -
by nworley / April 22, 2004 7:43 AM PDT

A 56K BestData Modem External sells for around 20 bucks and it plugs into your USB port. It will free up a slot. The device is about the size of a deck of cards and runs off of the USB voltage.


Collapse -
Re:Can I convert the monitor to USB?
by Themisive / April 22, 2004 10:06 PM PDT

Have you got an AGP port, if so, consider getting an AGP card, that'll free up one of your PCI slots, it might also be worth looking to see if you can get a combined modem and USB card, that'll free up another slot.

It's not worth the hassle trying to convert your monitor to USB, there are just too many data feeds in that cable - have a look at the connector, you'll see what I mean.

Alternatively, try getting a bigger motherboard for your machine, preferably with an AGP slot on it, the newer cards need one.

Collapse -
No. (NT)
by Mailman / April 22, 2004 10:32 PM PDT


Collapse -
Re: Can I convert the monitor to USB?
by ChuckT / April 23, 2004 8:30 AM PDT

A monitor is not going to function out of a USB port. That is not what USB is designed for.

What you might do is see if your motherboard has an AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) port. All newer motherboards, since the Pentium II, have AGP slots, which is designed for much higher data rates (for video) than possible with PCI. And AGP is now MUCH faster than when it was initially designed (you will see 2x, 4x and even 8x AGP and video cards).

If you have an AGP slot, then get an AGP-type board for your video. That frees up one PCI. AGP video cards can be pretty cheap, as long as you don't demand the "latest and greatest and fastest." Since you have been getting by with a PCI video card, I don't think you will demand the fastest AGP anyway. My guess is: that any speed AGP video card is going to be faster than any PCI video card anyway.

Do you really need a modem? Some motherboards (usually the cheaper, "everyting included" boards, have another special port, called a CNR (Communications Network Riser) slot. A CNR card will plug into that CNR slot (they are usually cheap and small) can be found to either replace your modem or network interface PCI card, maybe both(?). I am not a fan of CNR, but it is a possibility.

Or you could even find modems that plug into the USB port. Which is a way to go, too.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.