How To forum

Question

Can I connect a sound bar and surround sound to an LED TV?

Help. I want to buy a new Sony kdl55hx850 led but I just heard how bad the internal speakers sound at the store. I have a 11 year old Yamaha HTR-5560 AV receiver with no HDMI, but 2 optical inputs/1 optical output. I would like to run a sound bar for basic sound, and then go to 5.1 surround with my other speakers when I am watching a movie. Can I do this? If so, how would I hook it up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I connect a sound bar and surround sound to an LED TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I connect a sound bar and surround sound to an LED TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: connections

In reply to: Can I connect a sound bar and surround sound to an LED TV?

Why not ask the sales person in the shop? It's a quite normal pre-sales question. If they are unable to answer pre-sales questions, I wouldn't trust them for after-sales problems.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Beware lip sync issues.

The setup is like this.

SOURCE -> AV RECEIVER -> HDTV

But you have an old school unit so you TRY THIS

SOURCE (audio) -> AV RECEIVER
SOURCE (video) -> HDTV

You may notice the lip sync issue. This is normal for old gear.

As to this next setup, SOURCE -> HDTV (optical out) -> AV RECEIVER you find it's stereo most of the time due to HD "rules." That is no bug, it was intentional.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
SOUNDBAR/LED

I also purchased a soundbar to go with my 46in Samsung LED based on negative reviews from more than one source.Hookup was simple as described ,however once i got home and positioned my tv according to recommended spatial characteristics I was totally surprised at how good it sounded,even took the soundbar back for 3 bills back in my pocket.

Collapse -
Answer
Decent soundbar

TV makers do offer soundbars for many models, so you may have a ready made items. As stated by others, trying to use your old stereo and such gets into issues which not be easily corrected or less than desired result. You also could better served by getting a "home entertainment kit" that provides better audio and all those required connections. if you go soundbar, it should already be 5.1 capable otherwise get one that does, why fuss with yet more connections, setup. I've been finding these getting ugly pretty fast for anything older in the mix too.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.