Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Can I boot from XP to W 7 Prof. 32 bit or 64 bit

by steve3467 / January 9, 2015 12:00 AM PST

Need to know if I can boot from Windows XP to Windows
7 Professional 32 bit or 64 bit or Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit or 64 bit or anything else that is required for booting up? Steve

steve3467 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I boot from XP to W 7 Prof. 32 bit or 64 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I boot from XP to W 7 Prof. 32 bit or 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
If you're talking about dual boot, yes you can.
by wpgwpg / January 9, 2015 12:14 AM PST

You need to put Windows 7 on a separate partition to do this. Then you get a little menu when you boot up that asks you which system you want to boot. It works well.

Good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) Good! Thanks
by steve3467 / January 14, 2015 6:28 AM PST

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by steve3467

Collapse -
try this
by vembutech / January 14, 2015 3:36 AM PST

Hi, as you said, that you need to boot your machine on Wind 7. Little confused, If you are asking for the dual boot means, you can go ahead and install the Windows 7 in another partition so that you can use both Windows XP and 7 in same machine.

Else if you want to upgrade your OS from Windows XP to Windows 7, you need to upgrade your service pack then you need to upgrade to Windows 7. To know more information, check the below link.

Windows XP to Windows 7 step by step instruction

Collapse -
Re: XP to 7
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 14, 2015 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: try this

It's not necessary to upgrade to SP3 before doing it. From Vista to W7 was an upgrade, but from XP it is a clean install, totally overwriting the old XP. So everything you install on will be deleted later.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for your imput, now I just have to fine time to do it
by steve3467 / January 14, 2015 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: XP to 7
Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Will these system work properly with the XP Mother board?
by steve3467 / January 9, 2015 9:44 PM PST
Collapse -
The OS will work properly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2015 2:57 AM PST

But if there are drivers missing for say the Audio, we can fix that with some USB Audio stick under 10 bucks.

Remember you have to define things to the tee. That is, the OS will install and run just fine, but you may not get the full multimedia experience, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: motherboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 10, 2015 3:05 AM PST

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor (download from Microsoft) to check your hardware and programs for compatibility?

Kees

Collapse -
By all means take Kees' suggestion & run MS upgrade advisor
by wpgwpg / January 10, 2015 3:33 AM PST

Download the MS Windows 7 upgrade advisor from here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20 and run it to see what is compatible with your system and what is not. It's a free download and running it BEFORE you buy & try to install Windows 7 will save you a lot of grief.

Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!