General discussion

Can i block my teen from accessing neighbors internet ?

I have setup live parental controls on my Netgear 3400 router,and it works just great. I have 2 teens that after lights out can access neighbors internet signal that has no security...kinda defeats what im trying to do....anyway to block the neighbors network from the kids laptops ?....both are windows ....

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can i block my teen from accessing neighbors internet ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can i block my teen from accessing neighbors internet ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How about a different approach?

There's the old and trusted way of using Net User which allows parents to set 'time limits' on the use of a PC entirely. Assuming these PCs have individual "Limnited" accounts for the children but an Administrator account, (password controlled), for you, you can use the Net User command to lock them out of their PCs for set periods.

More about that here; http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2228-set-a-time-limit-for-the-use-of-a-pc

The other way may be better. But it means discussing with your neighbor. May be a suggestion or similar that you noticed from your own wireless capable computer that their wireless connection is unprotected, and do they need help to change the security to WPA-2 with a strong password? That would stop unauthorised access.

Mark

- Collapse -
different approach

mark....

thank you for your reply...was just hoping in the same way i could block a website,that i could somehow block access to someones network....seems to be trickier than i expected...we have a tightly packed neighborhood...just have to ask whos network it could be i take it?

- Collapse -
rouge access point

The solution is the same as you do to prevent someone from putting in a invalid access point in a company network. Cisco can be configured to lock these out automatically.

Wireless is stupid it will pick the strongest signal with a SSID. That is why everyone can use LINKSYS and it will always use their router rather than the neighbors.

What you do is if your router can have multiple SSID just put in a secondary SSID the same as your neighbor. You just make it so that it does not give out IP on that SSID. Otherwise you need another router that is connected to nothing advertising this SSID. It will not affect your neighbor since he should get a stronger signal from his router... or he can turn on security.

- Collapse -
another option

If they are PC there is software if it is all phones,game devices then you will have to try my previous option.

When you control the PC Bluecoat gives away a great free software. It uses the exact same filter list companies like mine pay huge fees to control corporate internet traffic. Not sure why they give it away for free maybe because they overcharge so much for the corporate one Happy

It is very easy to use and does a very good job of control and is almost impossible to remove without your password.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

- Collapse -
blocking neighbors network

thanks for the ideas....i will give them all a shot....i believe the neighbors router is DIR

- Collapse -
Seems simple

Why not ask your neighbour to put a password on his network? That would protect his investment and solve your problem!

- Collapse -
Here's a thought...

Perhaps this is somewhat radical, but how about going to your neighbor and asking him or her to set up proper security on his or her home router, or if you can help them to do so? It is quite possible that they are unaware that they are vulnerable.

- Collapse -
Teens Pirating Signals

This may sound radical, but have you considered being a Parent instead of a Programmer? Rather than block the computer signal, take the computer away from the little buggers if they do not respect your house rules.

I use the Administrator feature and their log-on user account shuts down at 7:30 pm. Now the computer is the bad guy, and I don't have to have the nightly argument. Plus, I get to be the good Dad when they ask me for extended time because the bad computer shut them down.

While on the topic of parenting, the cell phones go off at 7:30 PM as well. They also stay on the kitchen counter at night and are not allowed in the bedrooms.

- Collapse -
'radical' but good advice

We'll be using the 'shut it off' method when our baby gets older. We'd unrealistically like her not to have electronics buy we're not ready to live without 'em ourselves, plus her friends will have them. For now...we'll just use the 'parent' method.

- Collapse -
Draconian measures will surely backfire

From a technology standpoint I'd recommend disbling the wireless cards and using network cables in a "common" area of the home. That common area can also host the charging station for the phones and handheld devices. You could establish the expectation of no use after x o'clock and verify the phones, etc. are out of reach. Plus, you'd get to see that the devices aren't lost and they'd likely be charged when you need to contact your family members.

At the risk of offending someone, as a general rule of thumb I have to say that declaring something forbidden by parents will just increase the kids' resolve to see for themselves. I'd compare it to the classic "I forbid you to go out with that boy/girl!" In this case, however, it's not a case of mere house rules. As far as accessing your neighbors' wireless goes, it's straighforward - it is illegal. Tell the kids they may not do it and that you'll impose consequences if they do.

Our approach is to establish limtis and talk about our expectations, then follow up with more talking with (not at/to) our kids. Perhaps our arrangement is simpler because we don't have tv or PC in bedrooms. They are in the family room, kid's "play" room or kitchen. The monitors face the hallway so there's no question about whether what you're looking at can be seen by others.

In my house, a 7:30pm cut-off time for teenagers' communications would be akin to losing a privilege. From our point of view, that's so early/strict and out of the norm that I think it would prompt them to rebel.

- Collapse -
Parenting Teens

Smart move and honestly, much more reasonable to do. I do this with my kids too and I believe that when kids know what's expected of them, it won't be much of an issue to them. When our kids grow older, it's probably high time to adjust the rules a bit but still, there should always be a limit. Although with regards to the time limits, it's best to just rely on the "shut off" method and adjust it accordingly depending on anything important they should do online. It's really your call. If it was me, I'd place the computer elsewhere except their bedrooms and confiscate cellphones before bedtime, they need the rest. It's important for me to impose discipline or else my kids would definitely be hard to control in the end. Speaking of giving discipline, see this link.

- Collapse -
Parent or Programmer

Your method works great for young kids, but the first time you're worn down to exhaustion and/or they find a way to get by you, you're doomed for life.
My vote is back it up with the computer protection. That's what it's there for.
(bill012 suggested http://www1.k9webprotection.com/, for one.)
Some watchdog programs also offer keylogging or printscreening. A browser session can be viewed directly later, and if any questionable topics may have come up for them, you have the freedom to unobtrusively direct healthier ways to handle those subjects in a manner that does not threaten their sense of independence and self-esteem.
Good luck!

- Collapse -
...and CUE THE CONDESCENDING PERSON!!! (Right on time!)

Five years later -- I just stumbled upon this thread while looking something up, and as I was reading I knew it'd only be a matter of time before someone laid the condescension on thick, talking down to someone else as though they're a better "adult" or "parent" than this person, who is clearly here asking for help because he/she cares about his/her child.

You're not better than anyone. Congratulations on the "honor."

- Collapse -
Try this next time.

Answer the question of those who asked.

Tell us what you think is the right answer.

- Collapse -
he'll never hear you

scott johnson last posted in 2011

nancy collier last posted in 2011

M4rie last posted in 2012

hux_perry last posted in 2011

Tooniner last posted in 2011

Ras-x last posted in 2011
==============================================

Better luck next time, LOL.

CNET Forums